PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Crab not moving

bohlke
02/21/2004, 11:24 PM
I have a small red legged hermit crab who has been active for a couple of weeks. The past couple of days it has sat in the same spot constantly (from what I can tell). I moved it away from the spot and it picked up and moved right back. I am leaving it alone now but I am curious if this means anything?

3_high_low
02/21/2004, 11:42 PM
It's the seventh sign:eek:.

It is amazing how they can navigate their way around like that. You would think they were all just wandering aimlessly - but no.

I had one that climbed to the top of a coral and just sat there for a day. I came home from work and knocked his butt to the bottom of the tank. The next morning there he was, same crab sitting on top of the same coral...doing who knows what? :mixed:

bohlke
02/22/2004, 07:55 PM
Ok this morning I found what I thought was a crab carcass and I figured that it was dead. I removed the carcass but I left the shell in the tank for the next hermit (I only have one though). I was surprised to see the hermit still in the same spot later today and looking like it was fine. Do hermit crabs molt?

doctapeppa
02/22/2004, 11:44 PM
yes, they molt. Your crab may be in that shell recuperating from the molt or may have found another shell. Then again, it could also have gotten to large for that shell after a molt and not found a replacement and died.

good luck,
doctapeppa

monkeyprof
02/23/2004, 12:39 PM
hmm you know I had what looked like a dead electric blue hermit carcass, ugly bodly legs and all. The problem was that it was not near a shell. Oh well glad I picked that sucker up for only a buck.

bohlke
02/26/2004, 10:18 PM
Just an FYI the hermit moved early this morning (or last night) and is now moving around like before. Looks like it takes a while to recover from the molt.

doctapeppa
02/27/2004, 10:29 PM
:thumbsup: