PDA

View Full Version : One MH Pendent for a 46 gallon bowfront?

derfnart
08/09/2001, 03:22 PM
I'm this isn't really a straight question, firstly, I can only afford one (if any) pendent for my tank right now. My real question is, the 46 gallon bowfront has a fairly ugly 4 inch wide brace going right through the middle. That's a big blockage of light in my opinion, what the heck could I do about that if I get a MH?

I4reef
08/09/2001, 04:26 PM
I have 1 MH straight on top of the brace with
two PC lights. The PCs cover the shaded area.
Other choice would be two MH in each side.
Do not cut off the brace, it will reduce the
strength of the tank.

derfnart
08/09/2001, 08:06 PM
This is all guesswork, but with the bulb being right above that huge brace, how does that effect the lighting? I mean, yes I too am considering the usage of PC, but wouldn't geting MH lights be defeated by the center brace? i wouldn't remove the brace...

SciGuy2
08/10/2001, 09:20 AM
I have a 46 gal bowfront also.

I placed the MH off-center, but I also have VHO supplimentation over the entire tank. I place my light loving critters under the side with the MH and less light loving critters at the other end. Some of my softies like a bit less light anyway. Why is everyone dying to have uniform brightness over the entire tank?

I'd hate to loose the direct light produced by placing the MH directly over the brace. Besides it seems to me that the heat/radiation would be hard on the plastic brace.

HTH,
-Sci