PDA

View Full Version : exterminator

noles315
02/20/2004, 11:23 AM
anyone have an extermintor come spray the house for bugs? is it safe for the tank? i mean just spraying not tenting the house.

noles315
02/20/2004, 11:30 AM
^

Pod
02/20/2004, 05:24 PM
Mine just left.
I hate bugs.
I wondered the same thing.
I have had a tank for over a year with no problems.
I figure it is just along the base boards so it is ok.

noles315
02/21/2004, 11:22 AM
yea mine was over as well. i had him stay away from tank 15-20 feet around. had him spray more on outside doors in that room. so far so good.

marduc
02/21/2004, 11:37 AM
I would run some fresh carbon, and do a water change soon afterwards to dilute any traces that may have found its way into your aquarium.

I have an exterminator that comes by once a month here (FL. apt), and although I try to leave a note on the door telling him not to spray, I occasionally forget on the day he is scheduled to come.

The exterminators wear those face masks for a reason, the chemicals they use will to a small extent disperse into the air, and some trace will inevitably make into the water, although the levels will most likely be very minute. Still, those chemicals are very potent toxins targeted to kill invertebrates, so any trace of it in the tank is'nt going to do it any good. Over time, and with multiple applications it is possible for the trace toxins that seep into the water through the air could build up and be detrimental.

If the situation is unavoidable, and must be done, then I would take stpes to minimize air contact on the day that he sprays. Personally if I had time to prepare for his arrival, I would tape plastic trash bags over the top of the tank, sump, and my refugium, and leave them there for the day after he sprays. I would also ventilate the house well with outdoor air prior to removing the bags, and then run carbon and do a water change.

although these precautions may be excessive, I would still take any steps I could to minimize the potential for those chemicals getting into the water that I try so diligently to keep pristine.