PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to play chicken?

skearse
02/20/2004, 08:59 AM
OK, so, for everybody out there that I didn't listen to, yep, you tols me so-I am getting sick of my overflow boxes! Way too much gugling going on, even with Durso's (maybe I just can't get them set up quite right).

Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys thought about drilling the tank w/stuff in it (see this post (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234382&perpage=25&highlight=drilling&pagenumber=6).

Anyone feel like experimenting on a 125?

Tomzpc
02/20/2004, 10:20 AM
Stacy...is it just the noise that's bothering you and have you tried everything, such as threading airline tubing through the durso cap and down into the drain pipe, or cutting styrofoam lids that fit tightly into the top of the outside boxes? When I was running the external overflow I had it pretty damn quiet. As a matter of fact, it was quieter than my drilled tank overflows are.

Do you have room to get behind the tank with a drill? If you try it, make sure that you have some brute containers on hand. ;)

skearse
02/20/2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah, it's just the noise-so far the only success I've had at quieting the noise has been at the expense of the flow-closing up the riser valves from the overflows. I haven't tried the Styrofaom, though; I only had some acrylic on hand and all that di was ratttle around and make it worse. Styrofoam's a good odea-I think I may have some sheet foam insulation lying around that could do the trick.

Maybe less fun [nerve-wracking] but that would probably do the trick.

Thanks, I'll let you know how I make out...

Reelfish
02/20/2004, 05:42 PM
I have drilled a 125 with fish and rock in it. It was a bit nerve racking to say the least. I siphoned about a third of the water out and drilled 3-1" holes. The water was retained in case I had a problem. You will need to have alot of room behind the tank because you have to lubricate the drill bit as you drill. I have a CPR overflow if you would like to try a different type.

Bob

Sparkysreef
02/21/2004, 10:55 AM
Stacy. Told you that I had the same problem with those durso pipes. I searched every thread on this site to stop the gurgle noise.
Finally I just recovered all the previous holes with silicone and started again. I started very small. 1/8" dill and worked up one by one.
When I was very close to the right size but the water level was still fluctuating, insted of going up antoher drill size I just worked the drill in and out of the hole.
Didn't ream it, just held it straight and cleaned it up a bit. Worked for me.
The water levels in both my overflows constantly go up and down but not low enough to uncover the opening and cause any noise.
Hope this helps.