PDA

View Full Version : How to frag a sun coral

beckalexis
02/19/2004, 10:39 PM
That is the question at hand.... i have never fragged a coral before but this peice is getting to big for me to feed (over 50 polyps). I would need "fragging for dumbies" type of instructions. I would also be willing to compensate with some of the frags that I produce. Any help is greatly appreciated!

beckalexis

Scott Merrill
02/19/2004, 10:39 PM
a hammer and a screwdriver always works for me :D
honestly.

beckalexis
02/19/2004, 10:40 PM
Wouldnt that damage the coral??? what about bacteria or damaging the tissue, etc

Scott Merrill
02/19/2004, 10:43 PM
it may damage a polyp or two but if you really want to take the time you can try and dremel it. i think thats how greg hiller frags his, with a dremel. all depends on how exact you want to be. if your concerned about an oversized coral losing a polyp or two, then take the time.
but as for me.
a hammer and a small screwdriver usually do the trick.

beckalexis
02/19/2004, 10:46 PM
so....you just put the screwdriver anywhere on the coral, then beat the living hell out of the screw driver with the hammer till the rock the polyps are on breaks in some manner?

beckalexis
02/19/2004, 10:49 PM
also, do you do it in a container of tank water or out of the tank? Isnt metal bad to put in your system?? so would they metal screwdriver be harmful to the coral? sorry for all the questions....i just dont want to kill the sun coral or anything else in the tank

Scott Merrill
02/19/2004, 10:50 PM
depends on the size you want to frag. the smaller the frag the easier it is to break. you'd be amazed at how quickly live rock crumbles with a few taps. you shouldn't have to whack it too hard. i know this sounds crazy. but go easy. think of it as carving a piece of wood rather than splitting a log. if your looking for a specific size or shape then dremel it.

Scott Merrill
02/19/2004, 10:55 PM
you can take it out of the water. makes less of a mess than trying to work with it in a puddle. metal is bad if you LEAVE it in the tank.
if your careful enough you should be able to get it to break without losing a polyp.

Greg Hiller
02/20/2004, 11:10 AM
Another method that works, but requires a little more investment in tools, is to use a diamond encrusted dremel tool cutoff wheel. I purchased this bit a while back for about $30 mail order some some place or another. Goes through coral tissue like a hot knife through butter.

beckalexis
02/20/2004, 06:55 PM
ok....i think i screwed up.....i started the screwdriver and hammer procedure...but i ended up cracking a couple of the polyps...i freaked and put the coral back in the tank.....the rock the polyps are on is litterally covered with polyps (except the very bottom)...what should I do??

wrassefan
02/20/2004, 07:33 PM
Finish the job.

Keith Sheridan
02/20/2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by wrassefan
Finish the job.

I concur.
Also would be interest in a frag.

beckalexis
02/20/2004, 09:37 PM
ok....the job is done....it wasnt as clean as i hoped....but i will have to wait and see if they come out and start eating again.... i have 2 medium peices and 2 small pieces....let us pray...I'll keep you updated.....thanks for all your help!

Scuba_Dave
02/20/2004, 09:50 PM
I would be interested in a frag too. 1st time fragging something is always fun. Then you get used to it...just watch for zoo juice..

beckalexis
02/20/2004, 10:29 PM
yes...there is "zoo juice".... should i pick it off or just leave it alone.... is there any sort of clean up on the coral or should i just leave it be?

Greg Hiller
02/21/2004, 09:10 AM
I think what Dave meant was don't get the juice from the fragmenting of zoanthids on your skin, or in your eyes. There are certain zoanthid species that put out very potent nerotoxins....just ask Moe!!

beckalexis
02/21/2004, 09:35 AM
oh really....ooooops. I touched it wih my skin but my eyes are out of danger. Well, Im not dead yet! hehe:)

Keith Sheridan
02/21/2004, 12:48 PM
Zoos, not sun polyps, you'll be fine.