PDA

View Full Version : Camel Shrimp

killercoral
02/19/2004, 08:22 PM
I bought two camel shrimp two days ago. I wanted to get a couple of cleaners but they didn't have any. I haven't seen them since I got them. Is this normal, do they always hide? I thought they were scavengers like the cleaners.

killercoral
02/19/2004, 08:46 PM
I just read something that said that these guys are not reef safe. Does anyone know if this is true. It seems like nobody ever knows what they are talking about at the LFS.

bmwardo
02/19/2004, 09:23 PM
what LFS did you go to? And they are not reef safe, I took the chance with them once and they started to eat one of my shrooms, out they went. Also, you probably wont see them for a while if you just put them in there, they are like many shrimp and tend to do their busy work at night.

killercoral
02/19/2004, 09:37 PM
I got them at sherman, now what the hell am I going to do with them.

Debknapp
02/19/2004, 09:42 PM
I bought one when I first got my tank - LFS told me it was a peppermint - I had to tear apart whole tank to catch and return.

Last week I was at Sherman Tanks and they were selling camel backs as peppermint - you must of got them - really tiny - bet they'll be hard to catch.

I have a cleaner shrimp now, he's one of the best things to watch in tank.

Good Luck Killer.
-dk

ktani
02/19/2004, 10:27 PM
I personally like tempura shrimp.

Yeah they are bad news in a tank, its tough when you get bad advice like that. Hope you can catch em and get rid of them. Are you running a refugium? You might banish them to that until you can figure out what to do.

Kip

porkenstein
02/19/2004, 11:28 PM
I think if you have them with a little hot sauce it would do the trick. Not a big meal but very tasty

Timmay
02/19/2004, 11:43 PM
killercoral,

I have a camel shrimp in my 125 gallon reef tank and I've maybe seen him once or twice in 12 months. If he's doing any damage, its not enough for me to notice. I don't think I'd bother trying to catch him...

Tim

firefighter1_emt_cop
02/19/2004, 11:48 PM
There was a pair in the LPS tank at MS for as long as I can remember. They didnt bother anything. I think it depends on the personallity of the shrimp, although they are not suppose to be reef safe.

Reef'in Colorado
02/20/2004, 11:14 AM
I also have seen them eat small shrooms. If you have a sump/fuge throw them down there and let them reproduce and feed the tank. If you can catch them that is. Good luck! - Tony

killercoral
02/21/2004, 04:13 AM
I finally saw these two little guys tonight after three days. I found out where they are hiding and now I can plot my plan of attack for banishment to the sump of death! I also got a fire shrimp tonight from animal attraction. 30 bucks for a shrimp is insane but the coolest shrimp I have ever seen. Cheaper than sherman by the way at 32 bucks each, and 55 at denizens (outrageous). What is that by the pound? price check- Kingsoopers meat department about $1500.00 /lb?

jimboreefer
02/21/2004, 01:44 PM
Don't arrow crab kill them?