PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer for Bacteria Bloom?

StrongBadd
02/19/2004, 12:31 AM
Hey everyone, I know everyone has different opinions on UV's, but theoretically, will the Sterilizer get rid of all the unbeneficial bacteria swimming in the water column and clouding up the tank? My tank has been severely cloudy for 2 weeks, and after trying water changes, running carbon, and getting my skimmer to produce really well, the water has not improved even one bit. Everyone says let it run it's course, but how long would this take? Weeks? Months?

mjw357
02/19/2004, 07:23 AM
are you sure it's a bacterial bloom? how long has the tank been set up? what kind of gravel or sand are you using?

SamsonNY
02/19/2004, 08:22 AM
IF it is a bacteria bloom, yes, a U.V. will clear it up nicely.

StrongBadd
02/19/2004, 01:16 PM
MJW, it is a bacteria bloom, if I look closely at the front of the glass, there are small white little guys moving. The tank has been up snce January 11th, and I have 30lbs. of Aragonite and 20lbs. of Live Sand bed. The tank is a milky white color, so I guess it couldn't be much of anything else. I get the UV Sterilizer today, so I guess we'll see if that works.

Vincerama2
02/19/2004, 01:23 PM
I don't think bacteria can be seen with the naked eye...well not to the point where you can see little white dudes walking on the glass. Those are likely copepods...maybe flatworms?

v

StrongBadd
02/19/2004, 01:37 PM
You're probably right Vince, I'm new to all this, so, you know :)

What I do see mostly is right in the middle front under the MH, a thck white cloud that makes it impossible to see even halfway into the tank. From everything I've read, it's a bacteria bloom, it's just not supposed to last thing long. It would be one thing if it were improving, but it hasn't one bit, doubt the water changes helped that any.

If the UV Sterilizer doesn't work, guess I'll just ignore it for a month or something, though it sucks when you want to see what you have in there, especially during the early stages, and you can't see anything.

Vincerama2
02/19/2004, 01:52 PM
I saw a cloud when I added sand to my tank, it didn't last 2 weeks though...

Are you accidentally directing a powerhead at the sand?

How are you running carbon? Are you using a hang-on-back filter?
If not, consider picking one up for like $15 and running it to see if you can filter out any suspended particulate matter. If it IS bacteria, it will likely just cycle it's way out.

Since your tank is only a month or so old, I'd try the old "sit and wait, patience is the key" method....but I know that is very difficult to do! (like trying not to look at Carmen Electra walking past you in a bikini!)

V

mjw357
02/19/2004, 02:51 PM
I think it is from the aragonite, it will clear itself as long as there is nothing stirring it up.