PDA

View Full Version : angelfish community tank

alazzaro
02/17/2004, 10:13 PM
I am starting a 120 gallon tank and would like to house the following: Flame Angel, Emperor Angel, Lemonpeel Dwarf Angel, and various damselfish (all juveniles).

Do you think this combination will work initially in a 120 gallon tank?

If so, for how long?

If not, could you suggest an alternative combination of angelfish that could be housed together with some damselfish in a 120 gallon tank?

Algae Blenny
02/17/2004, 10:51 PM
I think the Flame and Lemonpeel would fight, I'm not sure about the Emperor or the damsels, though.

Jerry W
02/18/2004, 02:52 AM
The flame and lemonpeel "might" get along, if added simultaneously and providing there is enough rock work to afford them some shelter. Realistically, the emperor will ougrow a 120 in a couple years so plan to upgrade your tank or trade it, (something that is easier said than done). I have a blue face in my 5 foot 120 that is growing steadily. I foresee it outgrowing my tank within a couple years as he already close to six inches.
With regards to the damsels, certain species would be more compatible. Doubtful they would bother the angels, but I'd add them last.
Now for the bad news; It's advisable not to add angelfish to any tank for at least 5-6 months. Many fail in new, unstable systems, and in those without ample live rock which affords them grazing opportunities. If you're a new hobbyist, I'd steer clear of the emperor angel. Definitley not a beginner fish and one best left to experienced hobbyists with well aged systems. The centropyges you mention are decent choices but again, to optimize your chances, let the tank mature for a few months. If the two do not get along, be prepare to move one.