PDA

View Full Version : carbon

nmaho
02/17/2004, 08:13 PM
when everybody says they run carbon how do theyn do it ? do you just trow a bag in your sump? and how long is it good for thank you neil

drmooncricket
02/17/2004, 09:33 PM
i just went out and got an aqua clear 200 and dropped a chemi pure in... i figured it couldnt hurt...

moe_k
02/17/2004, 09:36 PM
I used to fill the media chamber of my HOT magnum with Black Diamond carbon. I'd run that for a month, then replace.

Use of carbon is most effective when the water is forced through a chamber full of the stuff.

Rick and Sandy
02/18/2004, 07:37 AM
We run our 'Black Diamond' Carbon through a Fluval Canister Filter that does NOT have any filter material (ie: Cotton) in it, just the Carbon.

Groove
02/18/2004, 07:50 AM
I run a bag of it in my sump where the return flow is moderate. Using a canister sounds like a good idea. I change mine once per month.

nmaho
02/18/2004, 09:37 AM
you just put bag in sump

drmooncricket
02/18/2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Groove
I run a bag of it in my sump where the return flow is moderate. Using a canister sounds like a good idea. I change mine once per month.

I was going to do that but my thought was; isn’t it best to have water forced threw it as opposed to just flowing around it?

Rick and Sandy
02/19/2004, 07:47 AM
We believe forcing the water through the Carbon yeilds the best results. However, dropping a bag of carbon in the sump is still better than no carbon at all.

Get the carbon in the water stream, then refine the process as funds/time permit.

our $.02 worth.

Scuba_Dave
02/19/2004, 07:52 AM
I finally just plumbed in my "cannister" filter: http://www.aquadirect.com/catalog/filters/oceanclear.htm

This things a beast, I bet I could fit 5 lbs of carbon in there
I used to connect a bag of carbon to one of my returns
And of course the crabs/fish picked at it & made a hole, letting the carbon into the tank

Armando
02/19/2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
I finally just plumbed in my "cannister" filter: http://www.aquadirect.com/catalog/filters/oceanclear.htm

This things a beast, I bet I could fit 5 lbs of carbon in there
I used to connect a bag of carbon to one of my returns
And of course the crabs/fish picked at it & made a hole, letting the carbon into the tank interesting filters. which one is recommended for 200G total water?

Scuba_Dave
02/19/2004, 09:34 AM
I guess it depends upon what you want to do. Price was right (free) so I'm using it for charcoal
It had this filter system installed: Polystrand 50 Micron Bio Filter

I also did away with the elbows at inlet & outlet, just restricts the flow

The model 320 has a filter system with an opening in the middle that you put the bag of charcoal in

Quick disconnect & ball valve to vary the flow

Scott Merrill
02/19/2004, 09:36 AM
model 320 is designed for carbon but you can modify all the others to take carbon too.
any of them should be fine for 200g.

let me know if your ordering one. i'll get one and split shipping.

Armando
02/19/2004, 09:37 AM
"absorbs fish odors" LOL!

anyway, where can I get one for free? :)

Armando
02/19/2004, 09:41 AM
Scott trying to find where else to find it. don't see at Marine Depot / Premium Aquatics

gumhead
02/19/2004, 09:58 AM
I use an aqua clear...

Scuba_Dave
02/19/2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Armando
"absorbs fish odors" LOL!

anyway, where can I get one for free? :)

All you need to do is find a bait shop that is breaking down their 2' x 4' x 12' x 1/4" acrylic bait tank, volunteer to break the tank down (and salvage the acrylic), and take everything away. 2 nites work. Now I have some acrylic (already cut some up for a baffle for the 75g), spare pump, huge air pump w/4 1' air stones, plus odds & ends, piping, valves etc, plus had enough wood to build a 4' x 8' fragging bench
A lot of fraggin fun :)

jolly_ranch
02/19/2004, 10:55 AM
stay away for KENT carbon. That is crap. You will have to wash it forever. Even if you do a good job washing it you still get loads of dust in the tank. Diamond to me was the best i have used..

Armando
02/19/2004, 10:59 AM
Let's stick with the topic: Buying Ocean Clear filters.

Oh wait, that's not the topic :D

Anyway, Black Diamond is a great carbon to use. Can be found at walmart too!

Groove
02/19/2004, 11:09 AM
Just had a thought. Has anyone ever used a carbon filter like the ones they use on RO filters? I've seen replacement "Whole house" carbon filters for less than $30.