PDA

View Full Version : auto top-off system

fishme
02/17/2004, 01:19 AM
Any recommendation with this device? Most LFS does not carry such device in my area. Most likely, I will have to order it online. Anyone has one and not using it? just checking.

Thank you for your input.

-Andy

reef-man_d-man
02/17/2004, 01:31 AM
simple setup if you have a sump or can drill the tank, get a bucket and a $11 spectra float valve place float valve where you want the water level to be (pull the float all the way up and the middle of it is the water level). drill a hole in the side of the bucket at the bottom and attach the float valve with some 1/4" tubing (o yeah you will need a 1/4" bulkhead for the bucket). the auto top off system can be that simple

LowCel
02/17/2004, 11:30 AM
I am using a Tunze osmolator that I love. I went ahead and spent the extra money since it has the optical sensor so that you don't have to rely completely on float switches. It does have a float switch safety switch to make sure that you don't overflow your sump though. Not to mention that it comes with a pump so you don't have to worry about that. The one other selling point for me was that the pump will shut off automatically if your top off container becomes empty.

aquaman67
02/17/2004, 11:57 AM
Here's a link that may be what you are looking for!Auto Topoff (http://www.californiareefs.com/forsale.htm)

SHOmuchFUN
02/17/2004, 01:14 PM
Wow, those topoffs are really neat! I may have to get one of those!

Aquaman, "Dihydrogen Monoxide plant manager"... AKA, water management? Hehehe. In that case, I monitor Dihydrogen Monoxide monitoring stations across Vermont ;)

chadhender
02/17/2004, 01:18 PM
I go t mine from http://www.autotopoff.com/ they are $30 or 55 with pump. Works great

cfh_cfl
02/17/2004, 04:41 PM
I got mine from champion lighting for about 60$ heres the link. Its worked awsome for me
http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001LFjPxfQBqOg9MI9U1Q2/Products/Dosing_Systems/dosing_systems.html?link=/Products/productinfo.html&item=main:at1

fishme
02/17/2004, 05:28 PM
First, many thanks for your responses. Just in case you are interested, looks like Reef Tropicals in NC has the best deal on these auto top-off system. They carried 3 different makers.

http://www.reeftropicals.com/autopoffsy.html

I think that I will go with the Tsunami AT-1.

If you find a better deal/maker, please post and share with us.

Thanks,
-Andy

reef-man_d-man
02/17/2004, 05:58 PM
Awesome looks good.

Alaskan Reefer
02/18/2004, 02:10 AM
reefdosing.com

I bought a Kangaroo 324 to dose kalkwasser for my topoff and said bye bye to supplements...

YYZ_125G
02/18/2004, 11:18 AM
I have an ultralife float switch (two months) and the solenoid has been buzzing when the sump needs water until the pump finally kicks on and tops off the system. Loud, annoying, and I’m sure it will wear out soon. The problem may have started from the switch itself being submerged during a power outage. As I remember the instructions warn against submerging the entire switch but I need more water capacity than the length of the tube provides. I think I will try the Tsunami I see a lot of advantages in a pressure switch instead of an electrical float switch.

LowCel
02/18/2004, 11:51 AM
Here is a nice digital unit for $90. Here is a link to it. Just want to throw in some different options.

ReefFanatic Level Controller (http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/mas/category.cgi?item=CT_RFLC&type=store)

I'm not sure how the tsunami works, just make sure that it has at least one backup in case the main switch goes bad. Otherwise you will end up with water everywhere and your salinity all screwed up.

SHOmuchFUN
02/18/2004, 12:00 PM
That's a great option LowCel, a bit pricey, but definitely a nice system. Not to mention you still have to buy a pump for it.

kd233
02/18/2004, 12:10 PM
I highly recommend the Tunze system as well - costs more, but has worked perfect for me.

LowCel
02/18/2004, 12:19 PM
SHOmuchFUN, it doesn't cost too much more especially considering that you get two float switches with it. The first time the single float switch on the cheaper unit sticks you will definately wish you had spent the extra money. As for the pump they are pretty cheap as well. You can just buy a very cheap powerhead to do the job.

Just think about how much you already have in your setup, another $30 or $40 for the peace of mind is definately worth it. Especially when you figure out how much it can cost you to replace all of your carpet when your sump over flows. Or to replace your fish or corals when your salinity drops.

The first time you go out of town and know that your equipment is going to do what it is supposed to do the system more than pays for it's self.

SHOmuchFUN
02/18/2004, 12:39 PM
No need to get defensive, I was agreeing with you. :D
But for just a FEW DOLLARS MORE ;) (I believe this is the punchline of this hobby) you could get a doser pump and run kalkwasser, set at your desired ml/hr and not have to worry about switches, floods, wet rugs, etc. at all.

LowCel
02/18/2004, 12:41 PM
Sorry, wasn't trying to be that way. But after reading it I do see that I sound it. My bad. :)

MattG
02/18/2004, 01:01 PM
i sleep well at night knowing the tunze osmolator is controlling my topoff :D

well worth the price of the unit for peace of mind.

LowCel
02/18/2004, 01:04 PM
Well the only downside to it is the weight that you lose in your wallet from purchasing it. Thanks again thebigmg. :hmm2:

Before you I had never even heard that wallet lightening name - - TUNZE!!!!