02/16/2004, 09:37 AM
whats the worst effect that could happen
when you use tap water?

mikedown
02/16/2004, 09:38 AM
any storys?

Strandedthinker
02/16/2004, 09:43 AM
mostly algae problems and unwanted metals.

swims withthe fishes
02/16/2004, 09:55 AM
don't care where you live tap is dirty dirty, using it will bring problems like crazy algea blooms, using dechlorinator will afffect PH and make for a balancing act trying to get the water right, TDS leves, anything that happens to be present in numbers (like phosphates) will build and build in your tank.

Worst effect: the tank becomes more hassle than enjoyment and you blew $X thousand dollars on something your unhappy with.

padixon2
02/16/2004, 12:27 PM
this is so true, I was using tap water with AmQuel dechlorinator, and I cant keep anything alive wut ugly brown algea, My RODI is comming in next week, so maybe my poor "toilet" will come around and be the nice nano reef I dreamed it would be.

mirski57
02/16/2004, 02:01 PM
I've used tapwater for 3 years on my 90 gallon. I had one big brown algae outbreak after 6 months, but that was it. Also, my tapwater measures about 236 on the TDS meter. I know that's a lot better than some other areas. I've kept, softies, SPS, and LPS all successfully. I also run a skimmer 24x7 and always keep a bag of carbon in my sump.

Mirski57

pr4mncplus
02/16/2004, 02:03 PM
I think you're an exception to the general rule about tapwater.

speccialj922
02/16/2004, 02:10 PM
indeed, and copper sometimes comes in on tapwater. thats no good at all...

mirski57
02/17/2004, 01:21 PM
I figured I was getting lucky with the tapwater and it was a disaster waiting to happen. When I set up my 180, I figured it was too much of a risk to use tapwater, and invested in a 100GPD 4-stage RO/DI from Aquatic Reef Systems. So I got my TDS 236 down to a TDS of 0. At least I can sleep better this way; it takes one thing out of the equation if I ever get a problem that I can't figure out.

nhanson
02/17/2004, 03:35 PM
Mikedown,

I started out using Tap, because budget is a primary issue for our tank, and things worked fine, but I had a low level of brown algae on the substrate and glass. I switched to Culligan RODI from Walmart because I didn't know if inverts we add later will tolerate whatever was in our tap. Now I spend $3 for 10 gallons once a month.

If you have a small tank (less than 75g) I think Culligan is a great idea. It will take about 20 years before I've spent the cost of an RODI unit, and there are no elements or membranes to replace. For me the transport is no inconvenience either.

Considering the low cost and availability of Culligan water at supermarkets and walmarts, I don't think you can justify using tap water for any reef. The possible problems are just too costly, and the solution is so cheap. Walmart for the small tank. A $200 RODI unit for larger tanks (which shouldn't be a problem since the overall budget is probably over $10K).

kevin2000
02/17/2004, 04:07 PM
Tap water quality depends on where you live. My tap water is darn good by any standards and I have used for decades with no problems. Each water company is required to post an annual water quality report - most put out monthly reports which post alot more detail than their annual report.

If you have a local reef club they should give you some good incite on your water quality.

Hope this helps.