PDA

View Full Version : New tank setup help please!

Homer J
02/15/2004, 12:44 PM
I need a lot of help (understatement of the century!) with the setup of my new 110 gal reef ready tank. I am worried about my waterflow. From lots and lots of reading from these threads I know I need to upgrade to at least 10x per gallon. As of now I have a 20 gal sump underneath in the tank stand for movement and that's it( an overflow box in the tank itself draining into it). The sump will house my heater, protein skimmer, it's pump and the return pump. My return pump is a RIO 2500hp (this worries me too since everyone seems to bash RIO...doh!) which pumps supposedly at around 500gph. That tells me I need at least another 600gph maybe more added on.

Here's where the problem kicks in!!! I am an extremely mechanically challenged person. Reading these sump designs and water flow systems is like deciphering a foreign language to me. I usually don't have a clue as to what's being discussed . :eek1:

The real question: What kind of extra water flow system should I add on? I really would like to add something that is 1) NOT LABOR INTENSIVE(or at least long but easy to put together). I definitely don't have the skill to do anything crazy. 2) I would like it to look "neat". It's in my living room and my wife will brain me if I have tubing running all over the place. So hopefully it can stay mostly out of sight and just as important 3) Can someone explain it to me in nitwit terms? I get lost very easily (sorry).

I've read about tunze streams, sea swirls and wavemakers like the one at oceanmotion.com. I just cannot get a grasp on the setup involved. Are these way out of my league to build??? Should I even have one of these on a 110 gal tank??? I don't care too too much about the cost involved. I just want something that works well and that's also easy to assemble.

I want to make sure that my system when setup will provide a comfortable environment for all it's inhabitants. Is there an extremely kind soul out there that's able to give me a handle on what needs to be done and has the patience to explain it to me(the real challenge I fear).

Please feel free to email or PM me!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Reef Central is an absolute blessing! Especially for those newer to the hobby. I learn everytime I log on. There is so much info out there it fascintates me(also overwhelms me)! Without this place I'd be doomed no matter how many books I read. I hope I am able to return the favor down the road to others in need.

thanks again,

Biggins

Here are some of my tank specs:

110 gallon reef ready(48"L x 18"W x 28"H)
20 gallon sump
2500hp Rio pump
1 overflow in tank
1 return pump from sump
Won brothers skimmer(anybody ever use one???)
Sen 500 pump fo rskimmer

Aquabucket
02/15/2004, 01:44 PM
Your best bet would be to find a local experienced reefer or reef club in your area. Many times other reefers are willing to help out and come buy to look at your set-up and take it from there.

MichaelD
02/15/2004, 01:47 PM
Get 2 maxi-Jet 1200 and hook it up to a red sea wavemake that'll give you your extra 600 gph and random currents. Or if you don't need random currents just nix the wavemaker. And maybe look at a Mag 7 for your return instead of the rio, i've heard too many bad things to trust a rio. And on your return just put a sea swirl for some changing flow.

phenom5
02/15/2004, 02:31 PM
homer, sent you a PM

Homer J
02/15/2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help. I think I will look into that wavemaker and powerheads. Sounds like something I can handle. I've signed up in the NJ Reefers forum. I look forward to finding some folks in the area that I can meet and talk with. I'm definitely going to need someone's help if I want it done properly. Better to do it right the first time. I've learned the hard way too many times already!

thanks again