PDA

View Full Version : flatworms

rhwimmers
08/06/2001, 02:25 PM
Hello, well these guys are starting to get ugly in my tank, getting on all the mushrooms and other various corals, and the glass too...im wondering what a good way to rid them is? I heard that a 6line wrasse will eat them? I dont know too much about these fish, eating habbits, aggressive etc etc...
anyone care to fillme in?
thanks

Ross

smiller
08/06/2001, 03:24 PM
Ross,

You will find much info on flatworms by doing a search.

I have yet to find anyone who has a planaria eating wrasse, though some books report that they do eat them. The best control is with a siphon hose. Not fun.

Steve

saltyone
08/06/2001, 06:52 PM
I added a six line based on the same information and saw no improvement. Nothing wrong with a six line but it does not solve the problem. As suggested, siphon seems to be the required response if the problem gets out of hand.

I noticed a recent request for volunteers for a flat worm remedy. I believe Inland Aquatics was running the test and I am real interested in the results if anyone on this board participated.

Good Luck

The_Nexis_One
08/06/2001, 09:17 PM
Does anyone have a picture of one of these.....

I'm trying to figure out what we're talking about.

The things that I normally refer to as Flat worms are small, clear critters that look like the the Starship Enterprise

Kind've a circle with protrusions:

_
(+)
|~|

OK, stop laughing.... I had to at least give it a try...

The top being the front. The + is a small white spot in the tissue - the rest is clear...It moves/feeds by throwing the front half of it's body like a throw net and then retracting it and "scraping" the surface that it's on....

Is this a flatworm ??

If so, my Strawberry Pseudo Loves them, along with my 3 Green Chromis

Thanks for the clarification
JB

rhwimmers
08/07/2001, 09:24 AM
no, i dont think thats a flat worm your referring to...They are differnt shapes...but they are about the size of a pinhead, somtimes a little larger. mine all have a brownish-purple-redish color to them. They are on the glass and also on mushrooms etc..
just kindof a blob and they move around very slowly, like a snail.

Louie
08/07/2001, 09:36 AM
TETRA MARIN RX OOHMED WILL RID THOSE FLAT WORMS NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK NO FISH NO SHRIMP NOTHING. IF YOU DO DOSE YOUR TANK BE CAREFUL YOU WILL GET AN AMONIA SPIKE AND YOU SKIMMER WILL OVERFLOW WITH DEAD WORMS.

THIS IS HOW I GOT RID OF THEM ABOUT A YEAR AGO GOOD LUCK!!

zerrez
08/07/2001, 09:53 AM
Ive gotten the green flat worms from some hitchickers on a coral and wow its getting out of hand. I mean these guys spread almost as bad as the code red worm does. They are very ugly and make the tank look pretty bad. Ill try to get a pic of them if you guys want one.

Now I just need a way to get them out of there, there has to be something that will take care of it. At least im hoping.....

rhwimmers
08/07/2001, 06:17 PM
Louie....HuH? what is all that stuff you used...a chemical?

Rovert
08/07/2001, 06:28 PM
Are you guys talking about this fella? If so, I have some on their way out to Dr. Ron as of today for an ID. Hope to have an answer back soon.

http://www.webpak.org/images/sunnyworm1.jpg
http://www.webpak.org/images/sunnyworm2.jpg

TankMan
08/07/2001, 07:13 PM
Here they are in my tank! Notice they are everywhere! HTH

Sorry, I can't get the images to insert

TankMan
08/07/2001, 07:18 PM
Here they are in my tank! Notice they are everywhere! HTH

sorry again, still can't get it! http://community.webshots.com/photo/18074973/18077024Vrrgqtmnwp

rhwimmers
08/07/2001, 09:16 PM
well, ive seen those dudes...BTW< nice pic!
these are VERY simliar except they are brown-purpleish...

The_Nexis_One
08/08/2001, 12:40 AM
WOW !!! Let me collect myself, That is an AMAZING image!!!

That is what I call a "flatworm" but mine are clear execpt for a small white speck where the yellow is in that image.

As for size, I can't tell - the life-like image scared away my cat when it finished downloading, it's so clear and... and... perfect that I can't tell a perspective of size. Mine are 1/16" to 1/4" max.
again - totally clear like silicone.

Thanks,
JB

TankMan
08/08/2001, 09:35 AM
try again!

nope!http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=30523&highlight=critter+id

Louie
08/08/2001, 09:41 AM
rhwimmers YES IT IS A CHEMICAL A MEDICATION IF YOU WANT TO CALL IT, YOU GET IT AT YOUR LFS.
I HAD THE BROWN FLAT WORMS I TRIED EVERYTHING AND NOTHING WORK THE OOHMED KILLED ALL THE WORMS AND 6 OF MY CORALS AND 2 OF MY FISH I THINK IT WAS FROM THE AMMONIA SPIKE, I DOSED MY TANK AND THEN WENT TO WORK IF I WOULD HAVE BEEN HOME I DONT THINK I WOULD HAVE LOST ANYTHING.