PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Move

Raszagil
08/05/2001, 10:53 PM
Hi Adam and all!! I just had to share this story with you, you wouldn't believe the time I had!

To those who don't know, I have a peacock mantis named Sashimibouchou ("fish-slicing knife") Sashimi for short, and since I had to move the tank anyway (was switching rooms with my sister) I figured he's like a nice new 29 gallon instead of the old 20 gallon he was living in.

So I set up Sashi's new 29 gallon in my room, then set myself up for the confrontation with Sashi himself. I'd decided to set him in the main tank's sump while I moved all his substrate, shells, fake saltwater plants, e.t.c. into his new tank. I even bought him a new filter and heater...

I grabbed a medium-sized plastic container to put him in and a net and went dove in. It took a bit of pestering but after he had enough he came out of his burrow fighting. He attacked my net several times, and every time I managed to net him he'd buck and fight so hard he'd get loose again. I was so nervous about handling him and he was so upset that I *was* handling him that I tried to move slowly hopeing he'd calm down a bit.

No dice, and he was *****ed*. Mom and my sister came in after hearing all the noise (mostly me yelping while he threw himself around the tank punching at my net) and stood behind me watching.

Then just when I thought I cornered him, he threw himself around the net and actually *leaped* 6 inches into the air and fell back into the tank, I screamed, mom and sister headed for the door and I had to stop for awhile.

I finally got him into the plastic container after giving up on the net and using a giant see-through plastic cup, gah that was awful!!

But he's really happy now, he's rebuilding his burrow and I fed him a nice, big fat live fiddler crab and he's back to his former self. :D

Just had to share,

Raszagil

moviegeek
08/06/2001, 12:26 AM
Sara,

Good to hear from you again! Been awhile. I have been reading your updates at your website. I am 80% done moving my 50, 37, 29, 20 and 15 gallon tanks across town. Major pain! If I ever move out of town, I am definately either selling off some tanks or buying larger tanks and setting them up at the new place ahead of time.

I had a similar experience as yours moving my mantis. First, I trapped him inside a clear 32 ounce plastic cup. Then I put that cup inside a slightly larger cup, and that cup inside a small plastic jar. As I lifted the mantis out of the tank, he did what looked like a double back flip out of the containers, spun midair and landed back in the tank. The whole thing took about .5 seconds. I was actually placing a fourth container on the opening of the other jars when he squirted through the side.

I setup the new tank with 2" black PVC pipes and elbows buried in the sand bed. It's pretty neat, although I do prefer the all-natural look. Mostly I did it because I was temporarily short of live rocks for burrows during the move. Also I switched over to a very find substrate and wanted to reduce the sandstorm effect during burrow excavations.

Later :D

biomekanic
08/09/2001, 03:28 PM
Katana flies forth
Free spirit will not be bound
Stomatopod's mad

In honor of Sashimi's Japanese name...
;)

Raszagil
08/09/2001, 04:19 PM
Adam> Wow, that's something else! But I bet you didn't yell near as loud as I did, I didn't know mantis shrimp could jump! I went to your site recently, it looks really nice! I need to get some nice pictures of Sashi... :D

Biomekanic> Hehe, thanks for the hatori (sp?) It really catches the spirit of the entire affair...man I'm glad that's over!!! :D

ISFRAEL
08/12/2001, 01:55 AM
ive got a mass move coming up soon involving 4 tanks. im not happy but its gotta be done i suppose