PDA

View Full Version : Please help with ideas, first real reef DIY

Westpat
02/12/2004, 12:20 PM
I have a 29g with no overflow, I am getting a Reef Devil skimmer from a friend, I know this is an in sump skimmer, but if I use a Mag 7, could I not plumb it to come out of the tank through the skimmer, and then return to the tank.

I also have a 10g aquarium or a 20g I could use for a sump. If I did that I would get a mag 9.5 and run it from the floor(4'). I would use ball valves to control flow.

I have seen some diagrams on here, and it seems like a good place to start, I would like opinions or advice as far as what the best option is, or if it is feasable at all. My biggest concern is preventing backflow, and getting maximum skimming.

I have a Mag 7 driving my sump and refugium on my 75, and I know that what I propose seems like a lot for a 29, but I want a setup that will be good for years to come and any future tank upgrades.

Thanks for your time,
David West II

Lt Hudson USMC
02/12/2004, 07:05 PM
Nudge >>

Westpat
02/12/2004, 09:22 PM
Thank you sir, for the bump and for your service,

David
Son of a Marine

Lt Hudson USMC
02/12/2004, 09:27 PM
No prob, good question. Sorry I haven't had any experience with the set up

Cheapreef
02/13/2004, 01:48 AM
That skimmer cannot have any backpressure at all, so it will have to be either placed in a sump or above the tank with a free flow back.

Clinton

Westpat
02/13/2004, 10:57 AM
That was what I needed to know,

Thanks
David

Westpat
02/13/2004, 06:12 PM
If I am not going to drill the tank do I need an overflow box, or could I pull from the tank to the skimmer and then use a separate mag to return to the tank?

Someone please let me know?
I can give my diagram if this makes no sense.

David

katchupoy
02/13/2004, 09:13 PM
Or you can do a closed loop... as long as the right level for the skimmer referenced to the water level of the main is maintained but I must admit that this is a crtitical and difficult one...

Cheapreef
02/13/2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by katchupoy
Or you can do a closed loop... as long as the right level for the skimmer referenced to the water level of the main is maintained but I must admit that this is a crtitical and difficult one...

Actually you can't this skimmer will not work with any head pressure at all. Closed loop will not work, even submersing the output will give you huge problems. It's made to sit beside or in the sump above the waer level, or above or beside you main tank as long as the output is above the water level.

Clinton

katchupoy
02/13/2004, 09:48 PM
Thats what I meant, as long as it is referenced to the water level of the main tank.

Good luck

Westpat
02/14/2004, 01:27 AM
Okay,
I have decided to go with a hang on overflow with mag 7 return and a SCWD leading to the tank. Go with the skimmer in sump running off of a mag 5. How about that? Does this make more sense?

Is the Reef Devil 3 problematic, or is it my design that is not so good?

Also, when you say the skimmer cannot handle any head pressure, I assume you are referring to the output having to be free flowing into the sump and not having any pressure that a return might cause.

I do not want to seem so dumb, but please help me muddle through this setup.

Thanks again,
David

Cheapreef
02/14/2004, 02:15 AM
Now you've got yourself a plan. Yes the return from the skimmer needs to be free no pressure to slow the flow down. If you submerge the output the foam production will fluctuate like crazy, let it fee flow and it will be stable. And yes the overflow with the mag 7 sqid combo sounds good.

Clinton

Westpat
02/14/2004, 08:18 AM
Clinton,
Thank you for your help and concern. I feel much more confident now that I have a plan and have hashed everything out!

David