View Full Version : VHO in a plastic rain gutter, other questions

nancysnuwave
02/12/2004, 10:33 AM
I'm getting ready for lights over a 6 foot tank. I'm thinking:

Single 175Watt MH - pendant either in middle or at one end
4 six foot (if it all fits) or 4 4 foot with Pendant to one end) - VHO

Any thoughts about

[list=a]
Use of PVC gutter for reflectors (heat damage? One per bulb)
Where to place the MH (or just do without)?
Colors of lights / types of VHO - have now 2 URI VHO-1 SuperActinics 6 foot

[/list=a]

I've got 3 almost new shiny black MH pendants, but really hope to cut down on the heat and energy usage by going w/ the VHO.

As mentioned, I also have two 6 foot VHO bulbs (see above), and need to buy some more, or else mix w/ ??? PC lighting? (would need other endcaps, as I have the ICECAP endcaps.

I also have 2 ballasts - an Icecap 660 and some generic ballast for the two 6 footers.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

reef_freak_hou
02/12/2004, 12:49 PM
nancysnuwave -

You are asking alot of senarios that are difficult to answer for one reason or another. It pretty much can boil down to personal preference.

You don't say what type of corals you plan on keeping, so the need for MH is questionable.

Regarding using PVC rain gutters for your VHO, I first would worry about the heat effort on them. Secondly, you mention using URI, so if that is the case, they already have a built in reflector.

Sorry I couldn't give more input, but additional information on your part could help.

nancysnuwave
02/12/2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by reef_freak_hou

A. {Lighting mix}It pretty much can boil down to personal preference.
B. type of corals you plan on keeping
C. plastic gutters... worry about the heat effort on them.
D. using URI ..have a built in reflector.

more input, but additional information on your part could help.

Hi reef_freak_hou!!
Thanks for helping me to focused in my thinking here..

Here's an effort to ask the questions better:

a. I'm interested in others preferences, since I don't have any yet (other than most light per $ (KWatts), and BEST appearance).
b. Zoos, green slimer, other acros, Pavona, ricordea, etc.
c. Yup.. I'm worrying about heat. Should I do anything about it (like change my idea)t.. any anecdotal evidences?
d. URI... mayhaps, I should just affix the puppies to pieces of eggcrate with cable ties - but I was hoping to cut glare and reflect the 'glare' light downward.
Thanks again..hope this provides more information on what I'm looking for..
Chris

reef_freak_hou
02/12/2004, 01:37 PM
First I can tell you if you post in the lighting/filtration forum you will gets dozens of responses, perhaps some more qualifed than myself.

None-the-less this is my take on it.

a. My preference is MH and VHO combination. As far as the VHO I think that you would want both 50/50 actinic and super actinic (blue). If you chose to go with only one MH, I would consider placing it in the center because I don't think you will be happy with the appearance of the lighting if you place it to one end or the other.

b. With the type of corals you want to keep, there is no evidence that you can't keep stonies (acros, pavona etc) with just VHO but they will thrive under MH. I would reseach a bit more if you are going to use 175W MH on a 125 gallon if it will adequately serve your purpose. This is more in regard to the light wave penetration for the depth of the tank.

c. There is no doubt you are going to get heat from whatever light set up you chose to set up. There are ways around it such as fans that will blow across and dissipate some of the heat generated.

d. URI - From your respose about afixing the bulbs to eggcrate, I can only presume you do not plan on any type of canopy. Without a canopy you certainly will get "ambiant" light in your from any set up you use.

I hope this gives you a bit more information in narrowing down your decision. If you do decide to post in the lighting/filtration forum, may I suggest you provide a link in your post to this thread. It will keep you from reposting all the information all over again.

nancysnuwave
02/12/2004, 02:07 PM
A. do not plan on any type of canopy. Without a canopy you certainly will get "ambiant" light in your from any set up you use.
B. light wave penetration for the depth of the tank.

C. a link in your post to this thread. It will keep you from reposting all the information all over again.

Hi Reef_Freak_Hou

A. Presently - nope, no canopy.. please see<br> http://www.nancysnuwave.com/aquarium/tank_lighting.jpg
B. Light wave.. probably won't get end to end, but below the light, I'm thinking would be okay for Acros.

C. Will do.. thanks!

Chris

reef_freak_hou
02/12/2004, 02:15 PM
Chris -

Good luck in your set up.

I have a suggestion that might work to keep the ambiant light from disrupting your room. This is something I did will waiting to put the doors on my cabinet.

Since from your picture it's appears that your studs run the right way for you to install your support. Do another one close to the front of the tank using 1" x material. Find a fabric that you like that goes with the room. Using velcro tape, put one side on your 1 x material, the other on the fabric. Stick it up like a curtain.

Works like a charm and you can take it down or change it as the mood hits you. The fabric also will allow for heat exchange since it 'breathes'.

nancysnuwave
02/12/2004, 02:46 PM
Find a fabric that you like that goes with the room. Using velcro tape, put one side on your 1 x material, the other on the fabric. Stick it up like a curtain.

The curtain idea sounds Perfect! Thanks! (my wife is a big velcro fan, and the 1"by should work out fine).

This brought up some more points, such as:
[list=1]
5 or 6 foot length? does it look good to have some 'darker' areas?
just cable tieing the bulbs up to eggcrate? would this work? or do the cable ties die from exposure to the UV light
someone recommended 'overdriving' "Sun" bulbs - $5 - from Home Depot? any experience w/ this? Is the light comparable? Or am I just fooling myself here, with false economies?
[/list=1]

reef_freak_hou
02/12/2004, 02:56 PM
Chris -

Again, some of this is going to amount to personal preference and I will just give you some of my thoughts.

1. I put 5' VHO bulbs on my 6' tank because I wanted some lower light areas for things such as mushrooms. It's worked fine, but if I had to do it over I would put 6' bulbs on the tank just to even the light out.

2. I think your idea will work. You can purchase UV resistant cable ties in the same area you purchase the regular ties. I have mounting brackets on my VHO, but use the UV resistant cable ties as an added safe guard. I would check the cable ties and eggcrate from time to time to make sure they do not become brittle from heat.

3. I have no experience in this area. I've heard others have done it with success but with the nominal difference in expense I prefer to go with a 'sure fire' method.