PDA

View Full Version : Anyone modify a seaclone

shadofax69
02/12/2004, 08:12 AM
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could share how they modified their seaclone to work in their sump with a lower water level. I want to keep my skimmer for now do to a lack in budget but I dont want all the sound and evap. it will cause by being an inch above the water level. If anyone has any ideas im open for them. Thanks

john rochon
02/12/2004, 10:04 AM
what do you need to know? I just sat mine in the sump with the MAXI 1200 submerged and it worked fine. You might just need to cut the tubing that goes from the MAXI to the skimmer so that it fits under water. easy as pie.

tang_man_montreal
02/12/2004, 11:03 AM
Hey John,

What mods did you do to it to improve it's effeciency? I'm gonna use one on my Isolation tank... 30 gallon...

Fishtale7
02/12/2004, 11:18 AM
No need to cut the tube from the MAXI, just remove the tube and twist the MAXI on to the intake of the skimmer. It is the same connection as the tube. For the noise, I put phosphate media in a media bag and hung it from the skimmer outflow to reduce "waterfall noise" and micro bubbles. If you can, it's a little tough, cut the riser tube in the collection down about an inch, then drill hole thru top of collection cup so an airline can fit thru and add airstone and small air pump. The entire modification cost was about $12.00 for air pump, tubing and wooden air stone.

shadofax69
02/12/2004, 11:23 AM
I know I can attach the Maxi 1200 under water that is not the problem I want to modify the out flow so it no longer comes out of the out spout. I was thinking about drilling the outer tube as close to the top as possible. I would do this twice and attach 3/4 inch 90 degree PVC to it. I would then put PVC pipe to where it was under the water level. I dont know if this would work or not though. Also if need be I can modify the colection cup so the top of the inner cone is the same height from the water level as it was because mine seemed to work really well before. I am also going to put a drain in the collection cup so I dont have to take it off and empty it. Well tell me if you think any of these ideas will work. Oh by the way the sump is a 10 gallon aquarium, that is where the problem is. The water level is well below the out flow of the skimmer so im just trying to get the water out flow below the surface of the water so there is little sound and less exap. Sorry I didnt explain this every well the first time.
Thanks

john rochon
02/12/2004, 02:42 PM
I'm pretty sure on a seaclone you'll need to have the outflow above the water level. Just sit it inside the sump and have a few pieces of base rock under the output to damper the noice or hang the bag thing like suggested. I cut the inside tube 1'' to 1,1/2'' inches for more contact time. Worked great. You can't have it completly submerged as your whole skimmer will be floaded and won't work properly. I try'd it that way.

shadofax69
02/12/2004, 09:07 PM
I dont want to have the whole skimmer submerged just part of it but the water level will be lower that normal and there will be a 2 to 3 inch drop from the normal out flow. I do not want to hand a bag or make the sound less I want an alternative water exit. To do this I was going to drill some holes right below the normal out by about 1/4 inch. In these holes I will glue 3/4 inch elbows and but a tube to below the water level. This will make it much quiter and cut down on evaporation by a lot. Hope this helps get my idea across.

baz
02/12/2004, 09:08 PM
i have mine as a HOB but since I did the first cleaning about 2 weeks ago nothing but tiny bubbles damn thing is driving me crazy and ideas how to fix?

Baz

shadofax69
02/12/2004, 09:18 PM
Hey Baz that is the trouble I had with mine. That is the main reason i made a sump with baffels so I could get rid of the bubbles. I am going to modify my seaclone soon and see how it goes. If it breaks when I guess Ill have to wait until later in the year to upgrade. As far as getting rid of the bubble there is a fine line where the skimmer is tuned well and produces skimmate and a point where the flow is 2 great and blows bubbles back into the aquarium Try adjusting the air intake to cut back on the flow to stop the bubble. You could also attach some kind of container on the bottom of the out flow to collect the water before it goes into the main tank so the air bubble rise and bubble out. Just some ideas.

baz
02/12/2004, 09:28 PM
I have read you can put a ladies stocking over the part where the water comes back in and this acts as a way to catch the bubbles. I have not tried this yet will try this weekend I'm really getting frustrated. I am calling the manufacture tomorrow. If I had not cleaned it to beging with it prob would be ok.....

Fishtale7
02/13/2004, 09:07 AM
The drilling and gluing elbows sounds like a great idea, but just make sure the out flow is above water level in the sump, even if it is 1", this way skimmer does not "back up" and causes more water flows out of the top. Good luck with modifications. Keep us all posted as to how this works, any increase in functionability in a skimmer no matter how cheap or expensive is very helpful to everybody here.

schemo
02/13/2004, 09:55 AM
been there and done that!!!!

best advice i have to give..................get yourself another skimmer. better yet make one yourself!!! i garantee you it will wok better than a seaclone!!!!

schemo

Highlander
02/13/2004, 10:13 AM
I have the output channel pressed against the glass side of my sump, the water runs silently down the inside of the glass.

shadofax69
02/13/2004, 06:43 PM
Well I have successfully modified my seaclone. I drilled 2x 1.25 inch holes in each side of the outer tube about 3 inches from the top of the main tube. I then siliconed in a 3/4 inch PVC elbow with the exit pointed up. From there I connected a PVC elbow pointing to the fron and then one to direct it back down. I put a length of PVC in the elbow to bring the return to below water level. I tried it out without the silicone and it works great. There out flow is big enough to mannage the water and the water sits about 1/4 to 1/8 inch below the normal overflow. I also drilled a hole in my cup to put a drain line in. Ill let you guys know how it works in the tank and give pictures and details.