PDA

View Full Version : another hello

rcoulter
02/12/2004, 07:20 AM
Just wanted to drop a line and say 'hi'. I'm new to the hobby and totally 'hooked' like most seem to be. My first tank is a 29 that I set up for my son for xmas. It was only gonna be a 'nemo' tank. HAHA that is until I went to the local LFS to actually purchase it. It's been set up since just after xmas and still no nemo - frankly nemo is probably a long way off! Currently I have a 30lb bed of aragonite, about 10lbs of LR, 5 lbs of lace rock, 2 orange tail damsels and I'm just watching water and things continue to show up on the LR. Tank seems to be cycled. I plan on adding LR over the next few months - getting a skimmer (currently have penguin 400) and getting some lights. Going slowly right now as I'm a comissioned salesperson and this is the slow time of the year. Come summer I plan on changing this tank to FO/quarantine and putting a much bigger tank in the living room where my wife and I can enjoy it. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 155 due to the dimensions - I like the depth (not height) of that size tank.

Hope to be able to attend a meeting at some time in the future but 60hour work weeks dont leave me much time :(

Does anyones wife understand why we sometimes just sit for prolonged periods of time just 'looking at rock'?

Robert
Chattanooga, TN

stevensmd
02/12/2004, 07:59 AM
it took her awhile to understand why I would get so excited watching rock. she is catching the bug now.
dave

Bddizzzy
02/12/2004, 11:03 AM
My wife just reciently got interested after I started to get some corals and fish in the tank. Now she has a fw tank with plants and can not wait till I get a bigger tank.

satman
02/12/2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Robert,

It is a very common thing that only those with the fascination treat the tank as the new TV screen.
The other family members seem to at least stop and look longer as time goes by.
When you have the chair in front of the tank syndrome, you certainly have kindred spirits on this forum.

Gould

EvilMel
02/12/2004, 08:39 PM
I am the wife and I used to sit and watch my rock for HOURS. My husband kind of understood but not really.

I didn't have any corals (maybe 1) and hardly any fish (maybe 1) but I used to watch all the critters running all over the rock and was fascinated by it.

Now I have a fully stocked 135g with a bunch of really tiny fish and it's my favorite thing to hunt for them and watch them interacting. I always like to look at the small stuff in aquariums.

Fishtails
02/14/2004, 10:52 AM
Hello Robert,

I'm also in Chattanooga. IF you are looking for any corals/ liverock or the such, please e-mail me at Alex122488@aol.com . I may be dismanteling my setup sometime soon.

Alex

EvilMel
02/14/2004, 12:26 PM
Alex,
why?
Mel
ps let me know if you are because I will take back the clown fish.

rcoulter
02/14/2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks Alex. Email sent