PDA

View Full Version : Humidity ventilation

vmiller
02/11/2004, 03:48 PM
I have a 500+ gallon system in my house and am running two dehumidifiers to deal with the humidity. While trying to reduce my electricity bill, I think this is the best place to start.

One dehumidifier is in the display tank room (there are two tanks in there) and the other is downstairs with the sump and refugium. Both of these areas are near windows.

My thought is to put some kind of exhaust fan in each of these windows as a replacement for the dehumidifiers. I have two questions about this.

1. One of the windows is in front of the house. How do I install a fan so that it's not an eyesore or an easy way to break into the house?

2. Would this allow any outside air in?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Vin

thedogofwar
02/11/2004, 05:00 PM
I would consider using some duct fans, then you can just route some ductwork to the window and install a grille, like those used for dryer vents.

This will stop air from getting in if the fans aren't running and stop the smallest of theives.

grim
02/11/2004, 05:12 PM
Get an air-to-air exchanger, a large one. It'll move air between the outside and inside and stabilize the temperature between the two. Running dehumidifiers is a waste of electricity.

jb