PDA

View Full Version : router question

lilbuddy
02/11/2004, 09:46 AM
Hey gang,
I was lucky to get my hands on a FREE dewalt dw610 router. Its slightly used and I dont have the manual for it. I was using a milwaukee router that was on loan. I never had to change the bit out of the one I was using but last night I was going to play with the dewalt router and tried to get a bit in it and was unable to. It seemed like the hole of the bit was too big on the dewalt.

Are there different size bits....I know there are different bits but the thickness of the shaft part of the bit seemed to small for the dewalt.

am I missing a part on the dewalt

the only pic i have now is the one im posting, the router is sitting on top of the table saw.

tia
mike

lilbuddy
02/11/2004, 09:51 AM
or heres another pic from dewalt.com
http://www.dewalt.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/Photos/DEWALT/TOOLS/LARGE/6/DW610%25_1.jpg

Douglas LEHMAN
02/11/2004, 10:04 AM
The two most popular bit sizes are 1/4" and 1/2"
I have seen both 3/8" and 10mm router chucks also.
Check for burrs/smashed chuck, ie was the router ever dropped.
The bit should fit snug in the router chuck.

dflint
02/11/2004, 10:04 AM
on every router I have ever seen, there is a collet that reduces or expands when you tighten or loosen the nut up. did you try that? its kinda like a chuck on a drill.

BeanAnimal
02/11/2004, 10:11 AM
I think if you check at home depot, you will find that you can buy the smaller collect for this router. The change will simply consist of threading the old collect nut off, replacing the inside with the smaller diameter bushing and threading the cover (new also) back on.

This router accepts 1/4 and 1/2 depending on the collect.

You can also buy the larger shank bits. They cost more but because they have a larger shank, they can have a larger cutting profile ans still be safe. In other words you can buy larger diameter cutters.

Bill

lilbuddy
02/11/2004, 10:50 AM
collect, shank,.....sorry but I dont know what you are refering to. The guy who gave me the router just emailed me a manual.

Hobster
02/11/2004, 11:04 AM
lilbuddy,

Looks like another "excuse" to make another trip to Home Depot.
Bring the router with and they will fix you up with what you need.
shank=shaft of bit, collet=hole in router you put bit in and tighten. They will show you at the store. And remember, "there is no more important safety rule than these, safety glasses" our master carpenter NORM.:D :D

lilbuddy
02/11/2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Hobster
lilbuddy,

Looks like another "excuse" to make another trip to Home Depot.
Bring the router with and they will fix you up with what you need.
shank=shaft of bit, collet=hole in router you put bit in and tighten. They will show you at the store. And remember, "there is no more important safety rule than these, safety glasses" our master carpenter NORM.:D :D

yep thats what im going to do..just bring it with me....its funny you get some guys that are going to look at me like damn boy dont you know nuttin'....kind of the same look I gave newbies when i worked at lfs:rollface:

Fishkiller63
02/11/2004, 11:48 AM
you probably have a 1/2" collet (hole in teh router and a 1/4" shank bit.

How much extra space is there when you put the bit in?

BTW you can usually get differnt sized collets for the router so you can use the different sized bits

lilbuddy
02/11/2004, 12:00 PM
I didnt look at it much I was kind of busy making doors for my stand. I just remember thinking damn this bit doesnt fit...I will look more at it this weekend.

Plus I had my wife informing me that there was a lot of saw dust in the garage....thanks Honey I didnt notice :-)

vortextoolman
02/11/2004, 02:37 PM
to fully expand the "collet" you have to unsrew the collet or chuck nut enough to break the collet loose in order to get the bit in. Take the collet out and see if the bit fits in it ( it's a good idea to have it unplugged at this time!!)
The collet in your DeWalt is undoubtedly either1/4" 0r 1/2"

If your sticking a 1/4" shank into a 1/2" hole of course it won't fit ,silly!!

lilbuddy
02/11/2004, 02:48 PM
I wish I knew that the collet was and what not...this is the first router I have ever owned and the one that ive been using came to me all together with the bit all ready in place all I did was turn it on, then I got this dewalt the other day and tried to put a bit in and it doesnt fit. I have no idea if its 1/4" or 1/2"

vortextoolman
02/11/2004, 03:12 PM
Well if the shank is about as big as a pencil, it's 1/4". If it's as big as your index finger it's 1/2"!!

lilbuddy
02/11/2004, 03:21 PM
ok, i think its a 1/2"