PDA

View Full Version : temp needed to bend large radius in 3/4 acrylic?

frustrated
02/10/2004, 08:32 PM
My wife loves the bowed front wave design glass tanks, but I want to make it about 7' long by 26" tall by 24" deep. So if I were to use 3/4" cast acrylic what temp would be needed to make these large radius bend's (about 20" radius). I have acces to a panit booth with a furnace in it that I believe gets up to about 140 degrees. If I make a large form to lay it on in the booth will this be a high enough temp. Maybe carefully add some concentrated heat with a couple of heat guns. I have worked with acrylic before many times, and I've made bends but only with 1/4" acrylic and a strip heater for a small radius. Any answers and sugestions would be much apreciated. Even if there not what I want to here. I would like some info before purchasing the acrylic.

Acrylics
02/10/2004, 10:00 PM
You're gonna need alot more heat, in the neighborhood of 300-350F. A large oven would be needed and these tanks are made with a two-part form with complimentary radii. I'd avoid heat guns or any other type of spot heating on thicker gauge acrylic as it will generally just scorch it.

James

gixxerrder1371
02/10/2004, 10:18 PM
Let us know how it goes . . Id love to undertake a project like that. BTW how much was the acrylic ?

Thx
Gixx.

frustrated
02/10/2004, 10:24 PM
Havn't bought the acrylic or even priced it I asume somewhere in the range of $200 to $400 for a 4x8 sheet. I was in need of info before i spent that much.

H20ENG
02/12/2004, 10:38 PM
A buddy of mine made a jellytank by heating a large piece over a trailer mounted barbeque!! Dont try this at home!:D