PDA

View Full Version : The best canopy

Phish
02/10/2004, 04:51 PM
I currently have a DIY canopy I made for my old 55 gallon, sitting on top of my new 75 gallon reef/fish. I have 440 watts of VHO (almost 6 watts per gallon), but want to go to a VHO/MH combo. I must either buy or build a new canopy as the old one doesn't excatly fit without temporary modifications to keep it in place. I was wondering if any of you have seen what you might term the "ultimate" canopy for VHO/MH combination. This could be either custom built, DIY, or purchased from a manufacturer. Please include links to pictures and explain why you think it's the best.

My goal is to provide proper lighting, have a canopy that is easy to clean and change bulbs, and a canopy that will give easy access to glass cleaning when that oh so enjoyable task comes due. Any pictures or plans do not have to fit the exact deminsions of my tank, but I need some ideas to point me in the right direction.

Thanks to all,
Phish

Mr.Lizard
02/11/2004, 02:02 PM
I read about using prefab rain gutter from your local home improvement/hardware store somewhere. I'm planning to do one myself. The plan I looked at was involving the plastic/vinyl gutter, but I'm thinking about using the metal galvanized stuff to help radiate heat a bit. I was thinking about buying one 10' piece and cutting it into two pieces the right length and reversing them back to back upside down (know what I mean?) and using a couple of the prefab end caps on each end to cover the hole. This would give you about 8" wide or so @ 4" tall....If you need more space then your sheet metal skills might have to be slightly better- the gutters have backs that go against the sid eof your house which can be bent straight and screwed together- use spacers to leave a little gap for air movement. Wash it down with vinegar or trisodium phoshate so you can paint it with some decent paint that will hold up to the conditions, use stainless hardware, mount up your VHO endcaps and/or MH (and possibly a reflector for the MH) and that should do it. I've been thinking this one out for a while....might need some stiffener/braces nere and there, too. This should leave enough room for hang ons and stuff behind. (I don't cover my whole tank top- my friends who do always seem to have a lot of heat problems) You can also mount fans in the end caps, if you like or it's needed. Hope this idea helps!!

Mr.Lizard
02/11/2004, 02:03 PM
Oh, yeah- if you expand the unit, you'll have to make some custom ends for it-

Phish
02/12/2004, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the idea Mr. Lizard, but if I put rain gutters on my "wife's" reef tank, she would discuss with my surviving family the merits of matching the canopy to the stand. I am looking for plans/ideas that I can build (actually my wife does woodworking, but I"m saying "I" because I want to sound all macho and stuff) and stain to matchthe stand.

Mr.Lizard
02/12/2004, 08:13 AM
I'm not as much into the matching stand necessarily- but a well made one with a decent paint job should look nice, too. Maybe do some searches on the 'net- I've found a lot of great info amongst the junk!! Good talking- best of luck!