PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Feed to multiple Tanks

capricornis
02/10/2004, 01:46 PM
Read about using a raised water tank to drain into multiple reef tanks. Is there a trick to getting the water to enter the reef tanks with the speed/pressure of a pump? Is it done using decreasingly sized PVC? What?
Any Help would be appreciated.

Glass World
02/10/2004, 03:43 PM
What exactly is your plan here? If you're planning on having a refugium above your tank then the limiting factor will be the pump that you're using to pump water into the refugium... you won't want it to drain faster than the pump can refill it. If you're talking about a surge device then do a search here... there are a lot of threads on that sort of thing.

In general, though, the higher the raised tank is the more pressure the feeds will have... the larger the pipe you use the more volume you'll have.

Douglas LEHMAN
02/10/2004, 04:40 PM
Get a copy of Breeding the Orchid Dottyback by Martin A. Moe, Jr.
He discribes his set up (header tank) suppling other aquariums quit well.

capricornis
02/13/2004, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I obviously was remiss in not sufficiently detailing my question: The tank is to be a header tank, fed by a single pump with water from a lower sump. The header tank will have one drain from the bottom that will split and deliver the water to three (lower) tanks which empty into the sump...ala Moe's "favorite". The query should have been what size PVC should be used to keep the pressure of the water turbulent. That question precipitated from the thought that a one inch pipe split into three one inch pipes would diminish, I imagined, the flow.