PDA

View Full Version : returns at bottom of tank

Ethan3426
02/10/2004, 01:21 PM
I’m setting up my first reef tank, and I’m looking for some advice. My plan is to plumb the returns in towards the bottom of the tank, as in the picture. I figured that this would create a good current from the bottom of the tank up towards the overflow at the top. I am in the swimming pool business, so I was planning on using 4 spa jets. These jets agitate the water, have good flow, and can be used to inject air. They are Swirl Nozzle Euro Jets from Pentair http://www.pentairpool.com/spa_bath_products/euro/euro_jets.html

I’m planning on buying about a 100 gallon flat back hex. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the hobby. Thanks

grim
02/10/2004, 01:42 PM
If the check valve fails in the open position you are in trouble. When your power goes out it will end up siphoning out almost your entire tank contents into your sump and onto your floor (I'm sure you realize this). This is a pretty risky setup. If you do something like this, it might be worthwhile to go over the top and use siphon break holes right below the water line. The only other issue I can think of is those swirl nozzles getting enough calcium build up to cause them to freeze, it would be tough to clean and swap them out with the tank full.

jb