PDA

View Full Version : acrylic

StephenHV
02/10/2004, 11:02 AM
I am getting some acrylic from where I work and was wondering if it is thick enough to build a sump out of. The acrylic is 3/16" thick and the sump will be 48"X13"X15"(LxWxH). Do you forsee this being a problem or should I come up with something else. Also the acrylic is white sign grade, not sure if that is a problem.

Stephen

Acrylics
02/10/2004, 01:00 PM
I think it would really be pushing the limits of the thickness. As for it being sign grade, that could mean a coupla things: A) could mean it's just the cheapest material to be found, or B) could mean that it's impact resistant acrylic, often used in signage.
If you knew the brand name of the acrylic, that would be a great place to start, but as of now, I wouldn't recommend using it for aquaria as it's nature is unknown.
BTW, I often use white in refugiums and frag tanks as the white will reflect more light back into the tank.
The problem with white is that you generally can't see the joint so it's quality will only be known when it's filled.

James

StephenHV
02/17/2004, 01:38 AM
I believe the brand I am using is acrylite. We have about for different brands at work so just tell me a good one to use. Also would it be better to use lexan? If so, I do I bond it together?

Acrylics
02/17/2004, 03:16 AM
If it's cast (GP) it will be masked either with red writing on paper or whitish film. If it's extruded (FF) it will be either blue writing on paper or blue film.
In either case, Cyro Acrylite material are considered to be of very high quality. The cast (GP) is one that is recommended for aquaria. The extruded, while a good material, is generally not used in aquaria.
That said, I still think you'd really be pushing the limits of 3/16. Te be honest, I've never made a sump of 3/16 so I can't say how far it can go, but the dimensions you are looking at are generally considered near the upper limits of 1/4".

James