PDA

View Full Version : Bulkheads & Drilling Acrylic...

dknape
02/10/2004, 10:33 AM
I am in the process of buildiing a calcium reactor based on DJ88's design.

I want to use bulkheads to attach external plumbing to the system, however, I have two questions I need to get answers to first.

1.) Where does everyone get their bulkheads? I have ordered two from North Coast Marines. Specifically, I ordered the 1 3/8" - 1 1/2" 3/4" Slip x 3/4" slip. They are $4.99 each and can be found on this page. (http://www.northcoastmarines.com/bulkhead_fittings.htm)

I am hoping that this is correct. I am using 3/4" PVC for the plumbing from the pump to the reactor. Will this work? I am using 1/4" acrylic.

2.) My next question is, based on the above being correct, what size should my hole be in the acrylic? What is the best way to drill the acrylic (type of bit & where to get)?

I purchased a 3/4" metal drill bit and have tested it an a scrap peice of acrylic and as soon as it started to break through the other side of the acrylic, it would crack.

I may have gotten slightly ahead of myself, but the peices to have the bulkhead fittings have already been placed, this being the bottom clear peice of acrylic. You can see current photos of my progress here (http://www.iowareefclub.com/members/dustin/mefolioCategory.asp?catID=56). Will it be okay to still drill on this peice providing I give it good support with 2x4's?

Thanks for the help in advance.

mjw357
02/10/2004, 11:03 AM
those bulkheads will be fine, just be aware that the pipes are glued into those, so be careful how you assemble. You will want the flange side on the same side of the acrylic panel as the pipe or you won't be able to take it apart without cutting the pipe.

the bulkheads should have a little intruction sheet telling you what the proper hole size is, go out and buy a hole saw for that size.

dknape
02/10/2004, 11:07 AM
just be aware that the pipes are glued into those, so be careful how you assemble. You will want the flange side on the same side of the acrylic panel as the pipe or you won't be able to take it apart without cutting the pipe. So they are not threaded inside? Do you suppose they could be tapped? I was hoping to use threaded elbow's to come out of the bulkhead.

Thanks...

mjw357
02/10/2004, 12:27 PM
you can get them either threaded or slip (glue). you could glue an adapter in there if space isn't a problem.