PDA

View Full Version : durso without overflow box?

nybluecrab
02/09/2004, 09:37 PM
I was wondering if its possible to use the durso without an overflow box? Current my tank just has a 1" bulkhead on the back wall near the top of the tank.

Tampa Aquarium Service
02/26/2004, 05:37 PM
I'm sending you a PM on this and The RO/DI letter you sent me
John

slylie
02/26/2004, 06:54 PM
it is possible to do a durso-style pipe.. it will work.. just put an elbow on the bulkhead going into your overflow box, then on the other side have a t-connection with a cap at the top, with the hole on top.... (look at the standpipe diagram and imagine the pipe on the outside) at the bottom of the t-connection, is your drain...

downside is, the durso works so well because it is in your tank, outside your tank it will produce more noise.

kstockman
02/26/2004, 07:40 PM
How close is the bulkhead to the top of the tank and/or the desired water level in the tank?

Dazureus
02/26/2004, 07:50 PM
It's possible, but you won't get any surface skimming or water level control without a skimmer box. The back of my tank is drilled for a 1" bulkhead and I tried everything to make it silent. I finally accomplished it with a durso, but I made a small overflow box and made the "through the glass" kind of durso slylie described.

nybluecrab
02/26/2004, 08:48 PM
Well I have some pictures of my setup.

http://manishg.com/gallery/Nano26

the noise isn't too bad actually just trying to think of ways to make it more quiet and make the inside part of the drain not as ugly.

the tank is a 25 gallon (same size as a standard 20 but higher).

the 1" bulkhead is about 2 inches down from the top.

ONAGI
02/26/2004, 09:18 PM
tagging for reference.

kstockman
02/27/2004, 08:04 AM
Why don't you just build an overflow box around the bulkhead. Then use a modified Durso. It should be very easy to do.

nybluecrab
02/27/2004, 10:13 AM
thanks I'm gonna try building a small overbox inside and see how that works. problem is since its a small tank there isn't much room.

DJ88©
02/27/2004, 10:16 AM
nybluecrab,

I ran a through the back durso on my 33 for quite a while. My sister now runs that tank and it still works great.

If your bulkhead isn't too low down the back of the tank give it a try. :)

kstockman
02/27/2004, 10:54 AM
The overflow box does nto need to go to the bottom of the tank nor does it need to be that big. All you need is enough room to fit an elbow (ans preferably a strainer) on the bulkhead. With that in mind, I bet that you could get away with a box about 6" long, 6" deep and maybe 2" wide (from the back of the tank to the front of hte box.

You don't even need teeth on the overflow. You can either use plastic mesh or eggcrate.

cheers

nybluecrab
02/28/2004, 10:24 AM
thanks everyone...i'll give it a try.