PDA

View Full Version : not sure about dyi tank

dwntoearth
02/09/2004, 07:45 PM
OK I know that this forum has covered this time and time again, but i still have question....

Being tax returns were not as well as planned (darn), I am still convinced to step up to a bigger tank. I have located a local glass dealer with GREAT prices for glass by the square foot.. here is my question, I am planning on building a 90 gallon with measurments of 36x24x24, being that the tank is not over 24 high can I go with 1/4'' glass with 2 braces at the top of 2 pieces of 1/4'' sandwiched together, I hate to be cheap...but right now 3/8 is still pretty darned spendy, is this possible..I could have swore I read someone talking about doing this, but of course I cannot find the thread again. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

David

jeffsdesigns
02/09/2004, 08:58 PM
Are you building the tank because of lack of funds?
If so, 90G tanks are fair inexpensive...but also in this hobby, it can get expiesive also.

I guess, what I am trying to say is. If your going to have enough troble just buying or building a 90G tank. They you will be overwhelmed by the cost of this hobby alone.

Nothing personal.
Just the facts.

dwntoearth
02/09/2004, 09:10 PM
No worries....(not personal) :)

Well to be absolutely honest, If I have the choice I would rather build anything I can buy, within reason...and actually the glass dealer i am referring to in my post can sell me 1/4" glass and I can build it and sve about 40-50 percent....if I should not use 1/4 then yes i will just buy one at that point... so yes the hobby can be spendy, but i feel if you do it smart and save money where you can no big deal, It was just that tax seemed like a good time lol....

jeffsdesigns
02/10/2004, 12:35 AM
Well, being new at this hobby. If anything. I would start off with a already built tank.
Then after you gain some experience. AThem maybe try building your own refuguim, Skimmer ect.

Think of it this way. Tanks are alot harder to build because of the pressure that they comsume. I don't know if you would wanna get up one morning or come home one day and see maybe your tank sprung a leak or possiblly collapsed.

For what you are wanting.
A 75G tank at places like Petco advertise them for like $99.
Thats for a tank only.
If anything, you know they are warrentied and also built corectly.

Myself. I am going to try my hand at a Ca Reactor. but I also been in this hobby now doing sps corals for over 7 years now too.

This spring. My fincee is wanting to buy me a 330G tank for my Bday..with all the trimmings..lol
Damn, I love that girl...but she loves it too.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

dwntoearth
02/10/2004, 01:07 AM
330?!!!

lucky lucky guy. hang on to that one lol:) thanks for the advice

javatech
02/10/2004, 01:44 AM
make one with plywood glass
http://groups.msn.com/JimsCichlids/plywoodtankphotos.msnw
http://home.earthlink.net/~javafish/id5.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~javafish/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/reef8.jpg