PDA

View Full Version : removing silicone? best way? actually..easiest way!

arcab4
02/09/2004, 03:59 PM
i need to remove the front pane of a glass tank. the glass is 1/2 thick and i've tried the razorblade method but after 45 minutes, it barely made any dents.

i know there are silicone removers but i am concern that it might affect the integerity of the rest of the silicone on the tank.

any suggestions or should i go back to the razorblade method? :)

NosArtur
02/09/2004, 05:19 PM
Dental floss or a strong monofiliment type line. Get a small depression started in the top corner of the silicone, run you out a good length of floss, slide it down into the grove and start sawing back and forth. You will probably want to wear gloves as cutting circulation off to your fingertips is annoying.

arcab4
02/09/2004, 05:33 PM
i tired to use a guitar string but that snapped in half.

i will try the dental floss and some different kind of strong monofiliment type line. :)

NosArtur
02/09/2004, 05:36 PM
You have to go slow as going to fast will cause the line to snap. I took apart an entire 55 that someone tossed because it had a broken bottom. Turned the remaining glass into a sump with baffles after a little cutting and a lot of new silicone. ;)

Edit: You also need something to act as a spreader at the top as you work your way down. I used toothpicks when I did mine.

Linden
02/09/2004, 06:05 PM
Arcab4

I got frustrated using wire etc . I got the best results using a flat wire spring (motor spring) out of a childs wind-up toy. These are thin and very strong and don't brake as easily as wire.

Hope this helps

Linden