PDA

View Full Version : leveling stand for a 30 gallon refugium

marduc
02/09/2004, 02:48 PM
I'm trying to brainstorm a way to get my stand level for my 30 gallon refugium.... It sits on a tile floor that is not level, and I think that the stand itself may be slightly out of level.

Due to its height (gravity fed return) it is already top heavy, and the wobble it has when sitting on the tile worries me, and also I want to ensure that the aquarium is adequately supported on the bottom pane (I have a sheet of 3/4" plywood that will support the bottom of the stand).

I am wondering If I put a semi thick rug under the stand, and then a sheet of styrofoam (or other unpondered compressable materials) on top of the plywood supporting the bottom of the aquarium whether it will self level as it fills with water eliminating the wobble, and at the same time any pressure points on the bottom pane of the aquarium.

Any ideas, experiences, or critiques would be most welcome before I plunge ahead on what could be a potentially ineffective plan of action.

TIA,
Tom

perpetual98
02/09/2004, 03:02 PM
I've never actually tried it, but what about building some sort of waterproof tray, setting in where the tank is going to be, fill it with concrete, which should self level if it's wet enough, then setting the tank on top of that? I suppose you could cover that with carpet or something?

marduc
02/09/2004, 03:05 PM
too much weight I think, it is already going to be top heavy enough, I was thinking if there were any other kinds of epoxies or ploymers that would achieve the same thing though. That would take care of supporting the base of the tank if so... still leving me with the problem of how to remedy the wobble as it sits on the tile floor.

marduc
02/09/2004, 03:07 PM
I might just staple some carpet padding and a scrap piece of carpet to the bottom of the stand, that might do the trick... perhaps that would also be the ticket for the top of the stand as well <shrug>

Glass World
02/09/2004, 03:18 PM
If you build up too much soft material it may not wobble anymore, but it may still be pretty unstable. As long as the stand is reasonably close to a wall I'd get a couple of big screweyes and put several in the back on the stand and several into the studs in the wall and tie them together... that way it can't tip over without bringing the wall down with it.

Personally I'd just level the stand with shims under the legs and then attach it to the wall at the top

Good luck:)

BeanAnimal
02/09/2004, 11:32 PM
Using a compressable material will not help you level the stand. It will compensate a bit for rises or humps and valleys. Look at it this way. Water self levels, stands don't. If it is leaning to the left then there will be more water on the left, and it will continie to lean that way.

You can either use wedges or trim the legs. To trim the legs, use a level and draw lines on the legs level from the highest corner. If the bottom of the stand is FLAT then this is not an option and wedges are your only solution.

If you want the entire bottom supported, then you will have to use a self leveling floor compound. Seeing that this is on a tile floor, you don't want to poor the stuff right on your good tile. I would simple build a very shallow sandbox out of luan or osb, and place it exactly where the stand will sit. Pour a thin layer of self leveler into it. The shallow corner only getting a 1/8 to a quarter inch or so. Let it dry, trim the top edges flush with the dried compound and your ready to set the stand on top of it.

Bill

marduc
02/10/2004, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback all. I was able to get it leveled by following Glassworld's advice, I was considering fastening it to the wall anyhow since it was topheavy. A few screweyes, and some wire, plus a little shimming was able to do the trick for me, I have it filled with water now, and have let it sit overnight to check for any leaks, or instabilities, looks good though.

The shims are hardly noticeable, and eventually after I affix paneling and trim the edges of the stand to finish it up, it will not be noticeable at all. The shims have eliminated the wobble completely, and it is now sitting level. Barring any major earthquakes (pretty unlikely here in Florida), it is not going to go anywhere at all.