PDA

View Full Version : Return from sump ideas?

dutt7
02/09/2004, 10:28 AM
Just wondering how people plumb the returns from their sump to their tank when the tank isnt drilled for returns? I'm thinking of using pvc in U shaped fashion over the back of the tank? any ideas would be great, pictures even better! :eek1: I'm using a mag 24 from 50 gallon sump and plan on splitting it into atleast two returns. thanks!

reelheel
02/09/2004, 11:10 AM
Hey dutt7,

Just run the PVC right up the back of the tank like you're planning...it's that simple. For example, I have one 3/4" line that splits at the top of the tank into two 3/4" lines using flexible modular tubing. Of course, try not to use too many elbows, reducers, etc. in the plumbing as they will restrict your flow...

HTH

quiksilver
02/09/2004, 11:42 AM
I did it with my mag 7 on a 29g. I'll take some pictures for you tonight.

sdmike
02/09/2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by quiksilver
I did it with my mag 7 on a 29g. I'll take some pictures for you tonight.

Yeah, please send pics.

I've got a Mag7 coming, and a 29 I just built a sump for!

Mike

dutt7
02/09/2004, 12:20 PM
hey, thanks, yeah, well i have a mag 24, so i may run it straight up the back and tee it off at top/back of tank, then go left and right with it and then go up and over tank and may tee the two returns off at the end so that there are four directions of flow from the return. pictures would be great!!!!!

quiksilver
02/09/2004, 01:24 PM
You are gonna need a large overflow to keep up with that mag 24. Hopefully your tank is pre-drilled, if not you may want to go ahead and put a T in the return line with a ball valve that just drops back into the sump so that if there is too much flow going up to your tank than you can regulate it.

Melev did this on his 55g which can be found at www.melevsreef.com . I'll look for the exact page later.

Splitting the return into a couple in the tank is an excellent idea just make sure that the pipe that hooks into the mag is at least one and a half times the size of the pipes that come after the T and go into the tank.

If you do not do this your T is basically worthless because you will get the same backup as if you had no split.

You definetly need another T that drops straight back into the sump from right above the Mag with a ball valve. I'll get you the picture on melevs site in a while.

dutt7
02/09/2004, 03:29 PM
yeah, here is a pic that i had of the return i had planned, it was suppose to be for an 150 g oceanice reef ready. but i decided to get the tank in the next picture instead, guy builds them and they are awesome. I may use the same setup, it has the return into the sump as you say, but what is that about the tee being worthless? here are the picshttp://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dc22b3127cce878dc195147a0000001610

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dc25b3127cce87a098de3fce0000001610