PDA

View Full Version : caulerpa in main tank

coralcrazed
02/08/2004, 10:44 PM
caulerpa in main tank

I was thinkin bout putting caulerpa in my main tank... Is this a bad idea? will it take over the tank??? what should I do?

reef_freak_hou
02/09/2004, 02:49 AM
Is there any particular reason you are wanting to put caulerpa into your display tank?

Is it to be a food supply for fish or just looks?

Either way, my personal recommendation is stay clear of caulerpa and I would not put it in the main tank.

Caulerpa can be horrid as it can go sexual, and yes, it can overgrow a tank quite quickly making it a problem.

coralcrazed
02/09/2004, 09:43 AM
how about in the sump then, for nutri9ent export??? can it still spread to the main tank??? ie: go sexual

MiddletonMark
02/09/2004, 09:46 AM
I would have a harder time getting to the main tank ... but it still can `go sexual' or crash.

Plus will release some organic chemicals, etc etc.

See this same thread in the coral forum ... your same posting there about it.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314906

And PLEASE, search on stuff before asking these questions, esp if you post it in multiple forums.

There are hundreds of threads on Caluerpa - many explaining in great detail why not to do these things.

I'd also suggest a couple good books: Aquarium Corals by Borneman, Reef Invertebrates by Calfo and Fenner [which has a great algae section that gives more info than you'll get most of the time here].

coralcrazed
02/09/2004, 09:54 AM
I like the personal responce...