PDA

View Full Version : Need help with DIY top off. Need float switch!

csunracer
02/08/2004, 06:02 PM
Hey everybody, i've decided to make use of my free time this fine sunday morning and create an autotopoff system. I'm going to use a 20 gallon rubbermaid, a maxijet 600 and some pvc pipe. What I plan on doing is running the pvc from the rubbermaid directly into the sump and activating the maxijet in the rubbermaid via a float switch that will be mounted in the sump. And that is where I need help. Where can i find a basic float switch that can simply turn on and off the maxijet 600? I have a radio shack, home depot and a lowes in my area. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

kgross
02/08/2004, 06:27 PM
I don't think you are going to find a float switch in most normal home depot/radio shack stores. I have not been able to find them locally myself. But you can find them on ebay , via mcmastercarr, etc.

Kim

JEFFTHEREEFER
02/08/2004, 06:28 PM
autotopoff.com--Im using one--fast shipper working great

easttn
02/08/2004, 09:01 PM
I don't live in Ca, but here is a Grainger near you:
8930 WINNETKA AVE
NORTHRIDGE, CA 91324
Phone: 818/341-2808
Fax: (818)341-4857
Branch Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm
$13.60

Ask for 2A554 pn. Some stores are A**es about business needs for purchases, call first.

gixxerrder1371
02/08/2004, 10:44 PM
If you can mount the tub above the lvl of where its going to enter your system this method of float valve would be ALOT easier/cheaper . . .

Think bout it . .

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314220

Gixx.

BenBradford
02/09/2004, 12:48 AM
cheap float switches at floatswitches.net---$6

csunracer
02/09/2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by BenBradford

I just ordered one from them. Hopefully it does the trick :)

csunracer
02/12/2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by BenBradford

Ok I just recieved a float switch from floatswitches.net. Now how do I actually wire up this thing?? It looks like it only has a positive and a negative lead running from it. Do I hook this up to a relay, and then to a pump? Anybody with experience using this particular float switch please provide me with instructions as to how to get it set up :)

T Sandman
02/12/2004, 07:44 PM
What voltage is your float switch rated for? If it's 120 you can wire it in series with your power head. Let me see if I can break it down for you. The power head cord would need to be opened up to find the positive. Use a test light. Cut that wire and connect one side each to your float switch. Done.

You may need additional lengths of wire to make it long enough for you application, but that should do it. Be sure to insulate your connections well enough to prevent rubbing and/or salt creep.

I believe that's all there is to it. Anybody want to confirm/deny/add to my instructions feel free.

Ereefic
02/12/2004, 08:55 PM
Are you using one switch or two? If your using 2, I would do it like the wiring diagram i've attached.

The main switch powers the pump on/off. IF that switch fails in the on position, then the second switch, when the water raises to trigger it, shuts the powerhead off.

This way also uses a relay. That sends only 12v to the switches, so if something every goes goofy, it won't send 120v to the water.

The relay can be bought at Radio Shack, Part# 275-218
You'll also need a 12v power pack and an extension cord.
Oh, and some crimp connectors (2 packs), Part# 64-3135

I will be using this system soon for Kalk top off, but right now I have it running with just top off water and it is working great.

Any questions, let me know.