PDA

View Full Version : Modified durso

r3tic
02/08/2004, 05:04 PM
http://www.r3tic.net/dursomod.jpg

This is the new tank I am setting up. I am using a modification on the durso standpipe. It is 1-1/4" pvc through the back wall of the tank the T fitting is 1-1/2" as is the plumbing down for about 12". There is a 1-1/2" to 1' bushing which takes 1" flex pipe down to the sump. I am running over 800gph through two of these pipes and it is no louder than a table top fountain once I have the stand enclosed and a hood built, I don't think I will even be able to hear it. sorry for the poor quality pic...it's the phone camera.

docklink
02/08/2004, 07:06 PM
Looks interesting. Do you have any plans for screening the intakes (could be hard on any critters that get near)

r3tic
02/08/2004, 09:29 PM
I have the 1/2" square light grid cut to fit inside the opening of the intakes. Hopefully I won't have any issues with snails getting caught in them.

Trackz
02/09/2004, 10:35 AM
Usually the dursos are put in an overflow box, so all the water that makes it into the durso came from the water's surface.

It looks like yours pulls from 1-1.5 down from the water's surface, missing the floating proteins (assuming the skimmer is in the sump). I'm not exactly sure of the consequences of this. Anybody with more knowledge have comments?

r3tic
02/09/2004, 05:11 PM
I thought that might be an issue, so i figured that I can just flip over one of the intakes to skim off of the surface when needed. I'll see how this works out, and if it doesn't I can always add internal overflows later. I was hoping to be able to get away with saving some room in the tank.

I would like to hear if any one has had experiance with this and can offer some input.