PDA

View Full Version : glueing acrylic

eric2524
02/07/2004, 02:55 PM
Can anyone explain the pins method of glueing acrylic or show me where to find the thread?

gulfstreamer
02/07/2004, 03:07 PM
Eric, don't know if you've ever been to this guy's site, but I think it's got a lot of great stuff about DIY acrylics, sumps and more.
Here's the main link:
www.melevsreef.com/
Once there, click on the "Discover Hidden Treasure!" link and you might find what you're looking for. If not I'm sure you'll find it worth bookmarking or just a good read.
Here's the second link, just in case.
www.sparklingfloorservice.com/links.html

later,

patteto
02/07/2004, 03:17 PM
The process is pretty basic.

1. Dry fit all you pieces together to ensure they is minimal gaps between the two pieces of acrylic. Actually no gaps is the best. Also, the smoother the surface on the end piece the better. I am starting to sand all my ends with 150 or 220 grit sandpaper to help minimize crazing.

2. Take the two pieces you want to glue and place them together in the position you want with some pins between the two pieces of arylic. This will mean there is a very small gap.

3. Using a fine pin needle applicator, apply the Weld-on #4 to the joint. The capillary effect should draw the Weld-on into the joint. After about 15~25 seconds, start pulling out the pins and and allowing the pieces to come in contact with each other.

4. Apply mild pressure, as 5~10lbs, to the joint and let it dry.

Good luck and if all else fails, a little Weld-on #16 in the joint will all a safety margin.

Todd

eric2524
02/07/2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys, you both helped me out tremendously!!!!!! you guys are great!!

Thanks again
Eric