PDA

View Full Version : New DIY SKimmer Concept... No flange screws! IMGH

PaSReef1
02/07/2004, 02:28 PM
Here are some shots of a new DIY skimmer that I just built based partly on existing designs already out there but with, lets just say a few... MODIFICATIONS of my own... :) I call this creation a Skim8-US22

It utilizes the common self cleaning venturi tubing instered into air intake and tied into Skimmer cup...which performs two duties...silences and cleans the venturi which I find very cool.

I will be adding the auto drain line to future designs...

This particular DIY skimmer uses Extruded tubing for the towers and both are 10" x 6".

Right now its powered by a DIY venturi, Which suprisingly works pretty well since it MODDED it up a bit...Future deisigns will use a Mazzei injector to increase production...

The use of quick release seals allows for total and quick access to the reaction chamber WITHOUT the use of flange nuts or washers... They dont leak at all, and I also used them for the PVC piping that went right into the CHAMBER and the Venturi muffler/cleaner line (tubing in rt side of cup)!

The seals allow for quick easy skimmer cup removal with little or NO clearance needed and even adjustment of the foam riser tower making the overall footprint of this smallish skimmer 20-24" H.

It was designed to be stubby so It could fit under my short stand. I have about 21" to work with.

Here as some pix....

Full shot: (Unit compressed to 20" H ) Two things should immediately jump out at you, First the PVC tubign is NOT glued in place, its held securely in place with the quick release grommets...

Notice even the venturi cleaning tube is NOT glued in place into the cup but sealed with the quick seals. Just drill the proper sized hole insert the seal push in pipes and your done! water tight flexible and NO messy leaking glue jobs or bulkhead threads!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913Skim8-US22_full_unit.jpg

Easy Access to Chamber:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913Skim8-US22_chamber_open.jpg

Quick easy no leak access to skimmer cup removal Seal in skimmer cup bottom also allows for adjustment of Overall skimmer H from 2-4" and tuning of foam quality and amount. Clearance is from 1/2-2" or so to remove the cup.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913Skim8-US22_cup_open.jpg

Shots of it in action: First day of use in test sump using food as pollution :)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913skim8-US22_Foam_Tower_In_action2_.jpg http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913skim8-US22_Foam_Tower_In_action_.jpg

for more details about how this was created and specs please visit my new website... www.nautilusreef.com (http://www.nautilusreef.com/html/rc_link_details.html)

55chadman
02/07/2004, 03:20 PM
id like more info on the quick fittings whare can you get these at ---hd, lows or online i checked your site --pretty cool---- will you sell the skimmer in a kit form at a cheaper price cool design!!

chad

PaSReef1
02/07/2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 55chadman
id like more info on the quick fittings whare can you get these at ---hd, lows or online i checked your site --pretty cool---- will you sell the skimmer in a kit form at a cheaper price cool design!!

chad

Check your e mail. sent info there. Thanks for the compliments!

dattack
02/07/2004, 05:37 PM
Excellent job.
What kind of bulkhead or is a curve bulkhead on the larger cylinder?

PaSReef1
02/07/2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by dattack
Excellent job.
What kind of bulkhead or is a curve bulkhead on the larger cylinder?

Im not sure which fitting your talkig about, the biggest one is a 6" ID quick seal grommet with is connected to the top of the reaction chamber, is that the one you mean? Then there is a section of 6" pipe glued to an 8" Laser Cut flange which holds the lower flange in place against the reaction chamber top.

No bulkhead fittings were used anywhere on this skimmer design, they are all quick seal grommets for piping.... actually everything.connected to the tubing and the flanges are the seals. Just drill the hole stuff in the seal push the piping through the seal (which forces the grommet against the holes sides) making it watertight. and your done.

No messy gluing or expensive bulkhead fittings. All the quick seal fittings cost under 20$ for this unit.

TheUPSguy
02/08/2004, 12:57 AM
Man this guy never gives up.

robwsup
02/08/2004, 12:07 PM
Why is PaSReef1 "Moved On"?

Cheapreef
02/08/2004, 12:17 PM
Because he was trying to sell in the DIY section, moron. He was worned twice and got the boot.;)

Clinton

robwsup
02/08/2004, 12:41 PM
O

Fishkiller63
02/08/2004, 01:17 PM
oh man, anyone know what venturi he used?

Lt Hudson USMC
02/08/2004, 01:51 PM
No need to call anyone names for a simple Q. Not everyone has read all of his sales pitches.

Cheapreef
02/08/2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Lt Hudson USMC
No need to call anyone names for a simple Q. Not everyone has read all of his sales pitches.

I was refering to PaSReef1, not anyone else. And only refered to him as such because he did not heed the warnings.;)

Clinton

dj synystr
02/10/2004, 12:19 AM
very nice design, looks like a ton of waste being taken out of the water.

DJ88©
02/10/2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Cheapreef
Because he was trying to sell in the DIY section, moron. He was worned twice and got the boot.;)

Clinton

Concider this your warning..

Read the [ua] Clinton....

Part 1.

:mad:

Phil
02/10/2004, 12:49 AM
Hi,

after PaSReef1 moved on, I have actually emailed to ask him some question regarding the grommet seals to venturi the using. I find that he is actually quite a nice guy answering all my questions.

For the uniseal, the info on the net is really lacking, therefore if someone who used it/know more can advise or even get the correct seals, it can save some bucks than buying the wrong one. However, one can also get it themselves online as the links are provided. Its just a matter of individual choice to me.

I hope this thread will be an informative one. Rather than side track to argument or even calling pple names. I believe many others like me still have questions on the usage of the uniseal.

Peace :rollface:

Phil :)

saltyhands
03/08/2004, 11:10 AM
Uniseals can be purchased from Aquatic Ecosystems. Part number for the 6" (6.62" pipe O.D.) is U600. It requires a 7" hole to mount it in. Cost is $12.20 each. The website doesn't have as much info about each seal as the catalog does. I am thinking about using them on my skimmer.