PDA

View Full Version : A. Ocellaris - What type of anemone??

graff71884
02/07/2004, 01:56 PM
I have been looking at a Ritteri or a White Carpet for my tank raised Ocellaris (pic), but not 100% sure. I have read a lot of different stuff on which is best, so I was wondering what all you guys thought?? Thanks!!

Trumpet12
02/07/2004, 01:58 PM
What sort of lighting do you have?
You might also want to consider a captive-split BTA. I have read that ocellaris will often host in them in captivity.

NFed16
02/07/2004, 03:55 PM
I have my ocellaris hosting in a BTA. They took to it 4 days after it entered the tank and have been inseperable ever since. BTAs are much hardier than other anemones and they have the added bonus of splitting frequently in captivity. Mine has split once, and is in the process of splitting again now. No anemone is easy to care for, but the BTAs are the hardiest of the group.

BonsaiNut
02/07/2004, 04:49 PM
You might consider reading the anemone FAQ.

PSEUDOREEFER
02/07/2004, 04:50 PM
I have been looking at a Ritteri or a White Carpet for my tank raised Ocellaris (pic), but not 100% sure. I have read a lot of different stuff on which is best, so I was wondering what all you guys thought?? Thanks!!

I think that you need to read more :lol: . Ritteris are one of the hardest anemones to keep available. Ritteris also grow to 3 ft in diameter (and you have a 29 right?). Carpet anemones would also quickly outgrow your tank. Considering this my advice to you is this : Thou shall read more :D
Good Luck

trueblackpercula
02/07/2004, 07:24 PM
i think before you get a anemone you should consider how much you can afford to spend on lighting.then ask your self are you willing to give it everything you have as fare as keeping it alive.it is A GREAT IDEA THAT YOU READ THE ANEMONE FAQ hope this helps.

graff71884
02/07/2004, 08:45 PM
I think I have enough lighting, I have power compacts, but I have 260w on my tank. I have read the Anemone FAQ, and I know that some of them get big, but I plan on moving to a bigger tank within a few months. Also, I know that some of these are hard to keep, but my water is perfect. PH-8.2 Nitrites-0 Nitrates-0. FYI: Ritteri's grow to be 3 ft. in the wild, but not in captive tanks.

trueblackpercula
02/07/2004, 08:53 PM
thats because they die before they can get there but there are some of use here at reef cntral that are keep this anemone with othera as well read read read.....i could save you the time and save the anemone life.also why would you want to buy an anemone when you are planning to get a bigger tank i would set up the bigger tank first then get the anemone this would save it stress .also you could damage it buy trying to moveit once it has settled in,be very carefull the base tears very easy.

angiras
02/08/2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by graff71884
I think I have enough lighting, I have power compacts, but I have 260w on my tank. I have read the Anemone FAQ, and I know that some of them get big, but I plan on moving to a bigger tank within a few months. Also, I know that some of these are hard to keep, but my water is perfect. PH-8.2 Nitrites-0 Nitrates-0. FYI: Ritteri's grow to be 3 ft. in the wild, but not in captive tanks.

take it from someone who lost a bta before I found reefcentral. I, too, thought they could be kept under power compacts (even high wattage numbers). I would suggest staying away from them if you plan on housing them under the pc's.

FWIW,
Ben

ERASEF301
02/08/2004, 12:43 AM
If I were to choose b/t a bubble tip and a H. Magnificient I would go with the bubble tip due to it being easier to care for. However, I agree with others that have posted that you should wait until your new tank is set up and suggest that you increase your lighting to Metal Halide. Anemones are not easy to keep.

brianlena2000
02/08/2004, 02:02 AM
With your current lighting a BTA would be your best bet once your tank matures. You do not have enough lighting for H. magnifica (Ritteri).

graff71884
02/08/2004, 03:00 AM
Thanks for all your help guys. At this point, I think I am gonna just wait for my BTA to split and then maybe keep 2 or 3 of those in the tank. For now, the one BTA I have is doing great, eating regularly, and showing pretty good color. Hopefully my clown will eventually host in one of the BTA's. Thanks again for all your help.

Atticus
02/08/2004, 12:44 PM
I have always found that my ocellaris pairs will more readily take to a frilly shroom or wavy LPS long before they look to my anemones. My avatar is a pic of one of my ocellaris in a patch of frilly shrooms.

blue carpet
02/08/2004, 12:58 PM
yes all these people thus far have been right on the dot. you will need much more intense lighting to house a ritteri or carpet anemone. to keep these i would recomend using MH or possible very strong VHO lighting in a significantly larger tank that the 29 gal. you have now. i have my carpet in a 125 and he still seems big!

Joe

SeaMermaid
02/08/2004, 10:19 PM
Nice pic. What kinf of camera?