PDA

View Full Version : kalkwaseer units dyi or for sale.

Chicago
02/06/2004, 09:49 PM
over the past years set up a 500 gallon reef which was an upgrade from a 200 gallon system. the korrallin reactor does not seem to do the job. this system with a 300 gallon sump ruber maid. evaporates 5 gallons a day minimun.

i would like to chain in to the top off water system, which uses a kent float valve to add the water, a kalkwasser doser.

i have seen the plans for nilsen and modified units of such. but after spending so much time on the set up to date do not have the patinets to build one.

then again. maybe i should try. but if there are units out there that work just as good i would rather just purcyhase one.

anyone have a review of the AQUA MEDIC UNIT. i saw some on champions page. or can someone hear recomend a unit or knwo a memeber who is building home units for sale that exceed the commercial units. thanks.

again thanks

AZDesertRat
02/06/2004, 10:12 PM
Check out ReefTek.com. Jorge is a great guy and you can't beat the quality or price.

Chicago
02/06/2004, 10:18 PM
by this you prefer these units to AM. what do you think ...will this allow for great calcium levels than an expensive delteck calcium reactor. i realize that such is a different concept.

thanks

AZDesertRat
02/06/2004, 10:49 PM
For a system that size if you have a very high calcium demand I would use both a calcium reactor and a kalk reactor. I use the AquaMedic Turboflotor 1000 skimmer but am not impressed with their reactors. I am buying one of Jorges Calcium reactors in the next month as my new system gets stabilized. Andy at My Reef Creations also builds good units.

Chicago
02/06/2004, 11:15 PM
a memebver mentioned tha when mixing o the kalk it gets very hot and therefore suggested not to go with the
aqua medic unnit as it was not well made.

how is the construciton on reef teck units. in other words what kind of crylic. ect.

thanks

tgreene
02/06/2004, 11:28 PM
I received an email from Jorge that my Reef-Tek Nielson reactor was shipped out today, so it should be up and running by Tuesday at the very latest... :D

jersey
02/06/2004, 11:30 PM
http://www.reeftek.com/Nielsen_Reactor.htm Should be able to answer any of your questions.

Chicago
02/10/2004, 11:01 PM
tgreen... hows the unit running. i am thinking of gettingone also.

please give your thoguhts on the unit. thanks

tgreene
02/10/2004, 11:13 PM
AWESOME!

It arrived mid-day today, and took all of 5 minutes to get setup and running.

I have a picture of it here, on the {IMAGES} page: http://reef-relief.great-river.com

kstockman
02/11/2004, 06:14 PM
OK--I will ask my question here. WHat is wrong with using a gutted Magnum 350 cannister filter. It has a magnetically coupled stirrer and you should be about to put it in line with a gravity feed top off system.

They only cost $70 from That Pet PLace.

The only draw back that I can see is the size of the reaction chamber.

Any comments?

tgreene
02/11/2004, 07:06 PM
I think the discharge tube would be WAYYYYYYYY too biog, thus putting out an extremely elevated pH...

tereefic
02/11/2004, 09:51 PM
wow great idea with the magnum.......maybe you could cut it in half and make it taller with a piece of acrylic of pvc. the size of the hose really doesn't matter if you are using somthing to control the flow...either downsized to tube with kent drip thing....or use a persalitc (spelling?) pump such as litermeter to pump in the amount of water that you want to get out.

kstockman
02/12/2004, 07:15 AM
My system feeds via a gravity feed drip system. The diameter of the incoming and outgoing tubes will be modified down to 1/4" tubing anyway.

Now that I think about it, you could use the magnum as the main chamber and use a secondary cahmber in parallel with the main chamber.

I will work on it an post pictures when I get it made.

Chicago
02/12/2004, 09:44 PM
tgreen ..still working good.

comments please.

now i wish i hung on to my old 10 years old magnum i could of simply daisy chained it in between my resoviur and my kent float valve on the sump.

tgreene
02/12/2004, 10:10 PM
Working like a champ...

I'm currently having to plug and unplug the kalk mixing pump, because my digital timers haven't arrived yet, but once they do (tomorrow hopefully) I will be 100% automated! ;)

weege1
02/12/2004, 10:25 PM
tag

Chicago
02/16/2004, 07:44 PM
tgreene... how the alk...any updates?

tgreene
02/16/2004, 08:41 PM
Everything is running perfect, especially now that my Typhoon-III is up and running...

I haven't done any testing yet since I'm needing to do another water change, and I was waiting until after the Typhoon was setup and dialed in before changing the water. Hopefully I'll get around to that sometime this week.

FWIW: I have noticed an explosion in the Coraline growth! :D