PDA

View Full Version : jaubert plenum setup

ericfetiveau
02/06/2004, 07:07 PM
Hi all,
I write this thread from france, so sorry for my english.

I am new in this hobby, and i want to setup a jaubert's style aquarium. I read info since 4 months on the jaubert's system, but i can't find the setup:
-sometimes you can use sand 1-2mm, and sometime nat smaller than 2mm, what is the good size?
-do not put rocks on more than 30,25% of the surface, and sometime put the rocks on PVC over the sand.
-use a skimmer, do not use a skimmer

what is the jaubert's setup? is ther someone who had seen the patent (brevet in french)?

I need some help.

Thanks

Bomber
02/06/2004, 07:33 PM
Eric

These are two excellent threads on Jaubert's plenum. The threads describe everything about setting up plenums.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=745

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26603&highlight=Jaubert

ericfetiveau
02/08/2004, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the reply.

But what type of sand we can use in a plenum?

What are the etapes for setup a jaubert's system. I can't find the documents writern by Jaubert himself.

All people are agree for saying that a jaubert's system work well when it is well setup, but waht's the good setup?

Thanks

Eric

Bomber
02/08/2004, 09:51 AM
Eric

How close are you to Paris? The Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle has his papers.

hdtran
02/08/2004, 11:21 AM
There's an article about the Jaubert system in the archives of "Advanced Aquarist Online." Very good article there.

If you can stand to navigate the "GARF" website, they have a good description as to how to build one (bulletproof reef setup, I think).

To answer your questions re: substrate size: You want to use aragonite sand, about 1-2 mm size. Smaller falls thru the screen.

For the patent, in the US, search www.uspto.gov, but that's for US patents. For the French patent, you need to search either the EU intellectual property patent site, or the French archives.

ericfetiveau
02/08/2004, 04:31 PM
thanks bomber, i am from britain.

for hdtran:
so you prefer "Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand From CaribSea" 1.25-1.95mm to "Florida Crushed Coral, Geo-Marine Formula" 2-5mm.
I have read that with too smool size, the sand become rocks. Is it true? and if yes how to avoid this problem?