PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead Sizing Question

Jcohen9999
02/06/2004, 03:33 PM
After searching I couldn't find quite what I was looking for so here it goes....

For my intended set-up I plan on having a 26G AGA Bow Front drilled as pictured below:

http://www.spydrweb.org/Saltwater/tank%20drilling.gif

My questions are:

1) How far below the top of the tank should the holes be drilled (I was planning to keep them near the top to limit the potential for drainage should one leak).

2) What size bulkheads should I drill for considering I wish to conserve space behind the tank

3) I have no experience with bulkheads so I need to know how far apart they need to be

and finally:

4) If I plan on an external Durso overflow so I need any internal plumbing for the internal overflow? (this will help me determine the dimensions of the overflow)

I guess that's it (for now). Sorry for the long post and thanks, in advance for any help you can offer.

Jeff

crescent1
02/06/2004, 06:14 PM
question 1, are planning on inserting some type of lockline or directional jets into the bulkheads.
question2, i wouldent go smaller then 3/4 bulkheads.
question 3, spaced evenly.
question 4, dont quite follow.

Jcohen9999
02/06/2004, 07:28 PM
question 1, are planning on inserting some type of lockline or directional jets into the bulkheads.

Yes I am, to prevent deadspots behind the liverock. I will probably fashion something myself out of pvc

question2, i wouldent go smaller then 3/4 bulkheads.

Ok, that's in line with what I was thinking but from what I've read bigger would be better (like 1") so I guess the question is can 5 1" bulkheads fit or would this be a waste for this size tank while creating the need for more clearance in the back.

question 3, spaced evenly.

makes sense. I guess I just need to leave room for the internal overflow which I am projecting to be 4" wide and 2" deep depending on the answer to #4

question 4, dont quite follow.

taht should read: DO I need any internal plumbing when using an external durso type overflow for noise supression or can this just be left open.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

Jcohen9999
02/07/2004, 04:15 PM
Did I post this in the wrong forum?

Sorry for the bump but I want to get this thing over to a glass cutter soon.

Thanks,
Jeff

MalHavoc
02/11/2004, 07:47 AM
[moved]

Jcohen9999
02/13/2004, 03:38 PM
MalHavoc, Thank you for moving this.

To All DIYers,

Any help you could provide in regards to bulkhead placement would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Acrylics
02/13/2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Jcohen9999
After searching I couldn't find quite what I was looking for so here it goes....My questions are:

1) How far below the top of the tank should the holes be drilled (I was planning to keep them near the top to limit the potential for drainage should one leak). I'd place them so that the top of the bulkhead is 2"+ below the top of the overflow. This way they are near the top as you wanted but low enough so that you can't suck in air or surface scum

2) What size bulkheads should I drill for considering I wish to conserve space behind the tank Prolly 1" drain & 3/4" return, this can vary depending on the pump you wish to use, but I always have the drain at least one size larger than the return.

3) I have no experience with bulkheads so I need to know how far apart they need to be Considering it's a fairly small tank, just space them evenly, though I'd prolly place the drains closer to the overflow. The overflow kinda hides them that way.

4) If I plan on an external Durso overflow so I need any internal plumbing for the internal overflow? (this will help me determine the dimensions of the overflow) You didn't specify what the depth is so I wouldn't want to take up too much of it but I'd definitely make it 3" or so deep (front to back) to allow for an ell.

HTH,
James

Jcohen9999
02/13/2004, 04:57 PM
Actually, James, this helps a lot. Just t make sure that I understand you correctly...I have the overflow made to be 3" deep (and I was thinking 4" wide) to allow for a downward pointing street el.

Related question: should/can I put the drain for the closed-loop into the overflow box also???

Thanks,
Jeff

Acrylics
02/13/2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Jcohen9999
Just t make sure that I understand you correctly...I have the overflow made to be 3" deep (and I was thinking 4" wide) to allow for a downward pointing street el. Correct, and that you'd have room to get the bulkhead in there to begin with - preferably with the ell already attached. Check how much long the bulkhead fitting is with the ell attached, I'd make it at least that deep (front to back). This way you won't have to fight to get it (bulkhead & ell assembly) in there, and if you ever have to remove it - you can :)

Related question: should/can I put the drain for the closed-loop into the overflow box also??? You *can* but the chances of sucking air into that line are greatly increased as there is a bit of turbulence in the overflow box, so not recommended.

HTH,
James

Jcohen9999
02/14/2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks....and I'm sure I will be contacting before long to fashion the internal overflow for me.

Jeff