PDA

View Full Version : I'm Drilling the bottom of my Tank this Weekend.....

MadTownMax
02/06/2004, 03:31 PM
I'm going to drill my 25Gal AGA for some bulkheads. my intent is to use it as a refugium next to mymain tank. I have checked AGA's technical sheet and it lists the 25Gal as not having a tempered bottom, so at least I don't have to worry about that. I currently have two 1" bulkeads, one for each back corner (although I will never need that much flow through a refugium).

my primary concern is of the glass breaking after I fill it - has anyone drilled a tank bottom themselves and had it around for a while so I know what my odds are????

My secondary concern is the distance the hole should be placed away from the corner. I've read that when drilling acrylic to leave a distance the same diameter as the hole away from any edges. The holes in my AGA RR 72G seem to agree with this. --- Just looking for someone who has done this before to set my mind at ease.

And of course I know I'm taking my chances, and if the glass breaks when drilling, I will just buy a reef-ready tank to replace it, If it has a chance to break after I have it filled and have it running, I definatly want to be aware of this (something I find very unlikely, as I believe the flanges on the bulkhead would serve to re-inforce the area around the hole)

-please let me know your thoughts, as I'm planning on doing this tomorrow.

-Nick-

MadTownMax
02/06/2004, 04:42 PM
-