PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Crossbreeding

ciachef
02/05/2004, 11:48 PM
I was thinking today about the possibility of breeding different species of clownfish together. I know I have seen a maroon and perc combination but are there others out there who have crossed different species together? I would be interested to see the different combinations people have successfully bred if this is even at all possible. It would be fun to see what new and odd looking clownfish people could come up with if any of this is even at all possible.

Atticus
02/06/2004, 12:14 AM
I don't think this will be a very popular topic...

JKramer0706
02/06/2004, 01:30 AM
Yeh...not a fond topic of alot of people here on RC. I accidently formed a pair with a female ocellaris and a male maroonduring a tank crash. They are inseperable now. There are pictures around here on rc somewhere of the offspring.

Dlckwood
02/06/2004, 02:49 AM
Well if you ask me I would pair a Chrysopterus + Sandaracinos. You may know these two make a Leucokranos. Here is a thread about it. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263244
People that don't like the topic about cross breeding are just Naive people. Its like they think all the dogs there are today have been here since the beginning. One thing that most people are concerned about is putting that offspring back in the wild. If you are just going to sell to people in the trade I see no harm in that. People (Myself included) are always looking for a cool looking fish. Good Luck!
DLCKWOOD:p

JKramer0706
02/06/2004, 02:30 PM
I completely agree DLCKWOOD!

Atticus
02/06/2004, 02:39 PM
I agree to a point... Most that do not believe in cross breeding are purists that want to see only what was intended, not some man made monster. I like to cross breed and see the resultant fry also, but I don't think there is anything wrong or naive about the puritst point of view either.

ElectronRider
02/06/2004, 02:48 PM
They are the same in the dog world... Anyone with an AKC registered dog looks horrified when you mention cross bred species of dogs. Go for it, just make sure you are taking care of the little monsters, regardless of how kool (or bad) they come out. Personnally, would love to see some cross bred species, makes fer more variety.

NicoleC
02/06/2004, 03:24 PM
IMO, if they can crossbreed naturally, it's not a monster, just a mutt. We've been doing it for thousands of years with animals and plants and they've been doing it themselves

When you start tinkering with DNA mutations and inserting asparagus genes into cats without any possible knowledge of the potential side effects, that's where you lose me.

Atticus
02/06/2004, 06:52 PM
Hmmmm.... Asparagus and cats.... now you have me thinking.... :D

JKramer0706
02/06/2004, 07:56 PM
Look at a necterine. Man's invention and a great fruit.

trueblackpercula
02/06/2004, 08:13 PM
well is not my cup of tea but good luck

ciachef
02/06/2004, 09:05 PM
Im not saying that I have a hybrid pair or even that I want to attempt to crossbreed clowns. I was just wondering the possiblity of it and if others out there have done it. As far as it being a controversial issue, I dont see a problem with it as long as they arent mass released into the ocean. If the fish looks cool and makes somebody happy then so be it.