PDA

View Full Version : Time to redo my plumbing

Demeter
02/05/2004, 10:28 PM
I need to re-design my plumbing for my tank. In the attached picture, there are 4 90 degree elbows from the tank to the sump. This has to cut down on the volume of water I'm circulating. I added a spray bar to my return which has placed pressure on the return plumbing - now that is leaking. I used 1" and 3/4" PVC pipe and want to move to flexible PVC pipe.

Overview

Overflow - 1" Durso connected to a threaded 1" bulkhead. There are 2 1" 90 degree threaded elbows connecting the bulkhead to a 4" PVC pipe. That pipe connects to a 1" ball valve. Connected to the ball valve is another 3" PVC pipe, which connects to two more 1" 90 degree elbows. Then connects to the sump intake.

Return - 3/4" PVC connected to a 3/4" slip bulkhead. That has a 13" PVC pipe connected to a 3/4" 90 elbow. That connects to a 4" PVC pipe and leads to a 3/4" ball valve. Out of the ball valve is another 4" PVC pipe with a 3/4" threaded coupling. A 3/4" male threaded insert is connected to the coupling.

I know that's a little confusing. Check the attached picture.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to streamline the plumbing. I'd like to keep the bulkheads in the tank, but they can be replaced if needed.

Thanks

hystrix
02/05/2004, 11:36 PM
Pic??

kellypark
02/06/2004, 05:29 PM
Try flexible PVC. it is called SPA FLEX.
YOu can get from savko.com or Homedepot (they only have 1" and up).
I will cut down many plumbing parts.

Demeter
02/06/2004, 07:12 PM
Here's the drawing...

hystrix
02/06/2004, 08:06 PM
Why do you have so many 90's?
Why is your return line leaking? Is it glued? It shouldn't leak from a little back pressure.
Flex pvc is okay but I find it hard to keep your plumbing in the place you want it. (the pipe tends to curve on itself) as opposed to rigid pvc.
Do you need more flow to your sump? A 1" line should be able to drain about 800gph.
What size pump are you using for your return?

Demeter
02/06/2004, 10:51 PM
Why do you have so many 90's?

I didn't have a better way to get the PVC pipe from the bulkhead to the sump intake. Now, that needs to be changed due to water flow. I think my tank gets good water flow, but the 90's have to be slowing it up.

I'll probably try flexible PVC pipe with no 90's. I wanted to get some other opinions on moving my current PVC pipe setup to flexible PVC.

hystrix
02/06/2004, 11:45 PM
The flex pvc would probably be a better option for the drain to the sump. If the sump is getting enough water, so that the return pump isn't sucking air, The 90's shouldn't be a concern. Your return doesn't really have a lot of angles in it? Flex should be fine there as well.
I used flex pvc from my return pump to my chiller then I hard plumbed from my chiller to the tank.