PDA

View Full Version : LED VHO PC MH Lets sort it out!

BeanAnimal
02/05/2004, 10:23 PM
Don't want to stir up a war...but it's time to get some real answers to this long lived debate.

Does anybody feel that it is possible to use LEDS as a direct replacement for all other reef lighting (cost not withstanding) I mean given the available spectrum of LEDS can they be used to nourish a reef by themselves? I can't see why not!

I would like to limit this thread to factual data, and not feelings or personal opinions about each type of lighting. In this way I hope to derive usefull information so that myself and other can make an informed opinion based on fact and nothing else. I have read thousands of LED and MH and PC and VHO posts, threads and websites. I have talked to people on the phone etc....its hard to put it all together with so many stuanch supporters of each technology.

My aim is to put togehter an end all, beat all FAQ about this topic.

We can break this down into a few sub groups to make the information flow understandable and comparable.

For arguements sake lets establish a light level suitable for a typical 70 gallon reef. Nothing super exotic or cutting edge. Just the average reef that the average aquarist would set up. This will give us a baseline for comparison.

Once established we can start gathering information in the following order!

SPECTRUM NEEDED
This will define the wavelengths and number of lumens needed at each wavelength to achieve suitable results over the average system mentioned above.

COST TO INSTALL
This would be the fixed cost of aquiring ALL of the needed parts for an operable system.

COST TO OPERATE
This is the total cost per DAY to run said lights. (not the wattage of the lamps, but the total current draw of the lamps and ballast! or power supply). Useful numbers would be in kWh. We all pay a different killowat hour rate.

COST TO MAINTAIN
This is the total cost to maintain the said system. It should be broken down into a common unit that is comparable.

AVG Bulb life (months) X number of bulbs X Cost per bulb

HEAT RADIATON PATTERN
The general pattern in which heat is radiated from the said technology.

GENERAL PROS
Obvious.

GENERAL CONS
obvious.

With the above information it should be pretty easy for any aquarist to pick (or mix and match) tecnologies to get the desired effect and price range.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

P.S. I am posting this in the DIY thread simply because most of the "data' is of a DIYers nature. Lumens, Watts etc.

H20ENG
02/10/2004, 08:46 PM
Hi bean,
I guess nobody wants to touch this one:D
I have read that even LEDs lose their spectrum like flourescents because of the phosphor coating inside. Once the costs fopr the white LEDs come down, IMO, they will definitely be used more often.

gixxerrder1371
02/10/2004, 10:10 PM
There is a thread on nano reef . com i think where a guy used those star LEDs . . the 5 Watters to light a tank and it cost him near 300$ to light like 7 gallons to the point of being able to keep SPS. Im thinking that was only like 12 lights or somthing too. . .

Go searching and youll find TONS of LED info as they have become a booming topic. I cant wait till there prices come down so i can adequetly light a 3 gallon reef wihtout having a hood thats taller than the tank.

Gixx.

BeanAnimal
02/10/2004, 11:11 PM
Here is what I have found....

(would still like to make a definatvie chart)

Most bright White or Blues are about 20 Lumens Per Watt. Some that will be released in the next year or two reach 65 Lumens per watt.

In other words at this poin tyou need about 150 High Intensity LEDs to equal the output of a 45 Watt Frosted flood light.

The Luxeons and other Overdriven leds don't last more than a few hundred hours, create a ton of heat and are not really even in the realm of being usefull.

At this point the hands down winner is a 4ft NO standard fluorescent bulb. The only problem is getting enough of them over the tank. that is why we use HO or VHO or MH.

The NO bulbs far outlive other bulbs AND are more effecient watt/lumen. Without an internal reflactor you can't pack them densly and reflect the light back into the tank very well

Bill