PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Sump Addition ???

hurleycr
02/05/2004, 09:33 PM
Will this work.

I really need to know how high to place the bulkheads between the two box's. I need to keep less than 10 inch's of water in the sump for the skimmer to operate effectively. At least that is what I'm told. Any suggestions, this is my first real DIY project for an aquarium. Except for a doser, and a skimmer. Those are really simple, I read that working with acrylic can be very tricky that is why I'm asking questions. Don't want to do this twice, and don't want to screw up my wet/dry sump. So before I start drilling holes and buying acrylic, I thought I would ask the people who do this reguarly.

thanks,

chris

T Sandman
02/05/2004, 10:21 PM
It can work provided that you get enough flow through that bulkhead.

You can plumb that with two threaded bulkheads,two male threaded/female slip bushings, and a section of pvc.

Good luck

crescent1
02/05/2004, 10:30 PM
well if you need to keep about 9'' of water in the skimmer section, you need to raise the bulkhead to that level.

hurleycr
02/06/2004, 07:25 AM
Should I increase the bulkhead size to 1inch or 1.5 inch??

T Sandman
02/06/2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by hurleycr

I would. You can adjust your water level in there with an elbow and a section of pvc out of the bulkhead.

KevinM
02/06/2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by hurleycr

Definitely 1.5" bulkheads. That way, should you ever up the pump size, you won't have to enlarge the holes. You're going to want to connect those boxes with spa flex, as well, so that any slight variation in the height of the BHs will not put stress on the box wall. If you stress it like that, it will crack eventually.

Kev

hurleycr
02/06/2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks a lot,

since my orginal design, I have decided that I would like to incorporate some live sand in the sump as well. Should I add it in the first sump where the rock will be, or should I put it in the second sump and just make it a two chamber sump on the second.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have a thought on the Aqua C EV 120 skimmer, or Kent Skimmers.

sorry off subject a bit!!!

chris