PDA

View Full Version : loud pump with pvc...

waverz
02/05/2004, 08:24 PM
I just got done with my ciculation sysytem in my tank. The only thing i dont like is the fact thats its LOUD. I took a RioHF20 set it at the bottom of my tank, and hooked 3/4" PVC to the top of the tank. From there i installed a "T" and ran 3/4" PVC to each top back corner of the tank. Dunno what to do about the loud HUUUUUUUMMMMING noise...im sure i could get used to it but its sorta bothersome.

capescuba
02/05/2004, 08:58 PM
Is there anyway that you could have air trapped in the pump? That would make it noisy?

waverz
02/05/2004, 09:18 PM
Dont think so...i dont think it like being reduced down to 3/4". Guess ill just have to deal with it.....

T Sandman
02/05/2004, 10:12 PM
What are your pump in and out thread sizes? Pumps tend to get a bit loud when you restrict either, mostly the intake though. Is the pump sitting on anything that could be amplifying the sound? Also, how are your return lines oriented? Are they hanging over the side on top or are they plumbed into bulkheads?

Ultimately I think what's happening is you are transmitting the pump vibrations onto either the tank or the pump platform and it is being amplified. I would try isolating your plumbing and pump with some foam or something similar if applicable.

Good luck

waverz
02/05/2004, 11:14 PM
I've tried isolating it.....no luck. What it is is just the pressure vibrating the PVC causing it to act like a speaker. I'm already used to it, just had to turn th TV up a notch. Heh...

niko5
02/06/2004, 02:22 AM
First of all get rid of the Rio and go with a Mag :) (that optional)
Get some of that spa tube and use that for the first foot or so atleast comming off the pump it takes up alot of the vibrations from the pump so it will not carry through the pipe. That will fix it if its the pipe making noise.. if its transfering into the stand the only way u can fix that is either hook a whole bunch of zip ties... or something.. twine works too and suspent the pump a half inch or something off the bottom of the stand (put a hook in the bottom of the stand adn run the twine down under the pump you will probly ahve to have 2 pieces or twine)

PaSReef1
02/06/2004, 02:38 AM
are you hooked up directly to the PVC on the pump? I had the same problem until i connected the pump to the PVC with flexible clear tubing. That dampened the sound a lot.

That sound your refferring to usually happens when you connect the PVC directly to the pump with no flex pipe

waverz
02/06/2004, 12:58 PM
Yup, thats its...gonna get some hose on there ASAP.