PDA

View Full Version : Help! I used Silicone II!

kalisea
02/05/2004, 05:05 PM
I used GE Silicone II to cover the metal bolts on my overflow box (don't ask.) It's just a little bit. How bad is this?

(I have read that it contains antifungals that can leach into the water and I am only supposed to use Silicone I. This information is very helpful now. :) )

THANKS

ejmeier
02/05/2004, 05:13 PM
Silicone II is just a different (higher) grade of silicone. I use it all the time.

Both I and II can be bad. It all boils down to which type of silicone the type II was - "Kitchen & Bath" or "Window & Door".

If it is Kitchen & Bath, then you might have problems, as I believe this is the type that contains mildew control ingredients.

tbhf
02/05/2004, 06:18 PM
i used silicon II window & door with no problems at all.
Terry

Devil Man
02/05/2004, 07:45 PM
so what your saying is use silicon II window & door for anything in you reef tanks

Acrylics
02/05/2004, 07:59 PM
The difference between the two is just the type of curing process they use. Silicone I is an acetoxy cure while II is a neutral cure (according to GE). Both are fine for reef tanks once cured. You'll get more of the vinegar smell along with some other chemical smells from Silicone I but not nearly as much with Silicone II.
As Eric pointed out, "Kitchen & Bath" contains antifungals which may be harmful to bacteria. Dunno, never heard a case that was directly attributable to this but why risk it. So use the "Window & door" (either I or II) and you'll be fine.

James

Devil Man
02/05/2004, 08:04 PM
thanks a million for that response :-D

Devil Man
02/05/2004, 08:06 PM
i have another question that maybe you can answer i know its a little off topic but, can you glue plexglass to glass, im trying to make a refugium and i was woundering if that was possible

Acrylics
02/05/2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Devil Man
i have another question that maybe you can answer i know its a little off topic but, can you glue plexglass to glass, im trying to make a refugium and i was woundering if that was possible If you build up silicone, works fine, if you silicone two vertical strips about 3/8" apart (each side so it makes two slots) and then slide your baffle between them, this works fine as well. You can use an industrial adhesive (Dow Corning #795 is an example) & I've heard reports of folks using Marine Goop with good results though I can't say as I've never done it myself.
Whatever you do, use something that does remain somewhat flexible and cut the acrylic a little small so it leaves 1/8" (or so) gap on each side. Heat and water absorption causes acrylic to expand and can cause the glass tank to fail as the acrylic expands if it's too tight. Hope this makes sense.

If you want, do a search on this by using "acrylic" & "glass" as search criteria and I'm sure you'll get a ton of reading to do :)

James

Devil Man
02/05/2004, 08:28 PM
ok thanks for the help

tbhf
02/05/2004, 10:28 PM
silicon II has a 7 rating for plastic and glass, 7 being the best according to the package.my baffles are plexi siliconed to glass no problems here.

dieselfish
02/05/2004, 10:43 PM
me too, plexiglass to glass no problem with silicone II

LarryW
02/06/2004, 04:45 PM
what about G.E. Silicone II Household Glue & Seal? I picked some up but haven't used it yet.

Specs

100% silicone. Permanently flexible. Adheres to tile, porcelain, glass, fiberglass, marble, wood, steel, aluminum, brick, mortar, concrete, and most plastics. Lifetime satisfaction guarantee. Won't dry out, crack, chip or peel. Easy to use squeeze tube. Can be used as glue, sealant, caulk or gasketing, and for many patch and repair applications around the house and shop.

clicky (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_2%2fPaint+%26+Wall+Coverings%2fCaulks+%26+Adhesives%2fMisc+Adhesives&BV_SessionID=@@@@0881557860.1076104290@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadckjdmmillcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876)

Trackz
02/06/2004, 11:16 PM
All I know is that the every Silicone II tube says not to use it for aquariums on the back (checked it out today). Silicone I has no such warning. If its 'okay' as you guys say, why would they put it on one and not the other?

steve68
02/06/2004, 11:25 PM
i have used GE 100% silicone from HD & have never had a problem i built all my sumps this way.

Trackz
02/06/2004, 11:36 PM
Silicone I and Silicone II both say 100% Silicone on the tubes. I wonder if either really are.

steve68
02/06/2004, 11:49 PM
it is 100% silicone :)

icebear
02/07/2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Trackz
All I know is that the every Silicone II tube says not to use it for aquariums on the back (checked it out today). Silicone I has no such warning. If its 'okay' as you guys say, why would they put it on one and not the other?

i think thats just for liability issues...

southdown sand packaging says "not for use in aquariums" but its obviously not a problem

i used SiliconeII as well and am encountering no problems

Trackz
02/08/2004, 02:39 AM
That begs the question...Why does GE feel they would have liability issues with Silicone II but not Silicone I? They make them both. The entire warning says something like "Not for use where FDA ...., Aquariums". I think there is something in there that could potentially be harmful. I'm not saying it is a definate, but same price as Silicone I.

steve68
02/08/2004, 07:35 AM
i have used GE for over a year on my sumps & have not had any problems with parameters going crazy i did battle a little bit of hair algae but that was fixed when i stop feeding so much :)
& RO/DI filters where replaced & my south down is kicking with life take a look at the sand its 5 inch DSB
http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/photos/data/500/6996DSC02873.jpg

CJerome21
02/08/2004, 11:44 AM
Looks good, I use that silicone as well, and have had no problems.

PS: I like the clam

C. Jerome

gixxerrder1371
02/08/2004, 02:45 PM
Far as i know as long as the package says 100% silicone you are good to go with it inside your setup.

Ive used both Silicone I an II by GE and had no problems with either.

Gixx.

Obi-dad
02/08/2004, 03:13 PM
I think the liability issue is not whether it is toxic, but whether it will hold on various heights/thicknesses of glass against water pressure - and the resulting damage to your house if it doesn't hold.

steve68
02/08/2004, 05:38 PM
well all i can say is that when i replace baffles i have to cut the silicone with a razor to get it off & i only use the silicone on the side that the water is pushing against not on both side's :beer:

deadmanh
03/03/2004, 12:29 AM
10oz silicone at lowes is cheaper than 5 oz silicone at petsmart. using silicone I GE... hope it all works out. yeah there is a bit o stink to it. i think its burning my eye's a bit or i could be sleepy too.

i wish you guys the best of luck cuase im going to need it too... haha