PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing my RO/DI unit. Need help.

SaltyMember
02/05/2004, 04:11 PM
Hi, I have a 5 stage RO/DI unit that I have been using hooked up to a faucet. I would like to have it where the RO/DI unit is plumbed into the water supply and drain of my laundry tub without using the supply valve they supply. I would like to have a separate shut off valve that connects before the RO/DI unit. Does anyone have experience doing this? Exactly what plumbing parts would be needed? Thanks

GROSSR
02/05/2004, 09:02 PM
You can purchase one of a few items to connect to the water supply. One is a tube piecing saddle valve, you connect it the 1/4 copper pipe with a couple of bolts and turn a small handle that pieces the copper, or you can purchase a connector that you put inline to your cold water faucet. I did the latter.

As far as shut off valves, I used John Guest valves all over the place. Just put them inline and you are done. Cut the 1/4" tube and push into the valve. HD has them for like 6.00 each, portage specialty has them for like 2.85 each.

I have one before my system, before the first DI, between the first and second DI, after the second DI and just before the water water flows into my sump, 30 feet away.

Rich

SaltyMember
02/05/2004, 09:43 PM
thanks for the info. I am thinking more the connector that I put inline with my cold water line. But what I am not sure is if there is a fitting that will attach to the tubing. Like the John Guest connectors. I want to go from copper water line to the 1/4 tubing. Is this a connector that exists or would it have to be rigged. What did u do? Any pics?

GROSSR
02/05/2004, 10:48 PM
A connector came with my RO setup. I know you can go to portage specialties or US Plastics and they have adapters. I couldn't get a pic if I tried.

Here is a link to try http://www.portagespecialty.com/custom/SinkAdapters.html

I would call them.

rich

SaltyMember
02/05/2004, 11:50 PM
Rich,
that link was just what I needed. I see a few options that would work there.
thanks for the help
alex