PDA

View Full Version : Rate my DIY Skimmer foam...

PaSReef1
02/05/2004, 05:22 AM
What you guys think? These are some shots of my first DIY skimmer... working in a temp tub. I "cured" the skimmer overnight by dirtying the water in the tub with lots of fish food and some sponges from the canister on my NANO since my 55 is still under construction.. See the HIBO post

This is a stubby guy its under 22 inches H with a larger than typical skimmer cup. (my stand is S H O R T )

It is using smallish venturi which has a siphon muffler (clear tubing on right) that also acts as a eductor/venturi cleaner and anti overflow for the cup (similar to the Life Reef). I will be adding self cleaning valve and some other goodies to this little guy (guest speed fittings for 03 etc) etc etc

Its powered by a Dolphin 650 which is IMO a bit much for such a small skimmer but it will do!

This is after 1 minute running in this tub!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913skim8-US22_Foam_Tower_In_action2_.jpg

Close up of the cup runneth overing...:)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46913skim8-US22_Foam_Tower_In_action_.jpg

I know I know its just foam, but to me its MY first FOAM...! lol

I feel like handing out Cigars!

Please rate the quality and quantity of the foam... using the POLL above...

IMHO it seems pretty good to me... Quite dry and a mixture of different sized bubbles...But im no expert...Thats why I submit the question to those that have seen a lot of foam like YOU...

I do have a better venturi on the way, I used a cheapi DYI one for this intial test, seems to work pretty good tho for pennies... mmmm.....:)

Please vote...

Thanks
Chris

Aged Salt
02/05/2004, 05:58 AM
Chris, as the skimmer lowers your tank nutrients, you will be happy that you have a good pump to continue to squeeze out the waste,Bob

PaSReef1
02/05/2004, 06:12 AM
good point, I noticed that as this tub got clean, the skimmate dropped dramatically, but there was still some coming up due to the power of the pump, your def right...about pump size prob better to have more than less, the trick is too keep the flow correct since its such a stubby guy...:) pretty much running it wide open with little if any backpressure... Im not sure if that is ideal since i read flow is not as important as "exposure" in the reaction chamber but I must do with what i have to work with under my tank for now..

I will probably switch this pump to an even quieter Eheim pump in the near future...From my last poll it seems thats a pretty good solid sump pump thats pretty much silent...