PDA

View Full Version : DIY glass tank...how much risk??

Lunchbucket
02/04/2004, 01:55 PM
well, i have been thinking getting a new tank for quite a while but MANY of the tanks i have priced out are just TOOOOOOO much $$$$ so i have a buddy that owns a glass shop and i am SURE i could get the glass for cheap.

only thing is i am scared some how the tank failing and having 50-60gallons of water rushing down on the apt below me.

i would clean the edges w/ alcohol and use aquarium silicone REALLY WELL...also i would have a top Euor brace

how big are the risks of the think blowing apart on me??? or is there more i should know about making a tank first?

i would like to do a 24"cube

thanks
Lunchbucket

xeon
02/04/2004, 03:40 PM
I was going to do the same thing at one time, except I was going to build something in the 15-20 gallon range for a custom sump of sorts. After researching it, I felt fairly sure it would be safe if done properly. I also e-mailed and spoke with a few people who built their own tanks. Garf.com has a neat little calculator that will give you the measurements on various panels and recommended glass thickness. I never built anything because after my research I called my local glass shops and with their prices I was better off doing something else. With an inside connection I definitely would have at least tried my hand at it.

kcgor
02/04/2004, 06:40 PM
I built a 70 Gal tank out of glas that was gave to me.. I built it in a stand that helps hold it together.. Built it out of 2X4's.. Used screws to hold the 2X4's together... thought that would hold better than Nails... trimmed the whole thing out with 1/4" Paneling.. Works great..

Casey

Lunchbucket
02/04/2004, 07:10 PM
got pics kcgor

any other opinions??

thanks
Lunchbucket

kcgor
02/04/2004, 07:46 PM
Sorry... No pic :( I also painted the back side of the glass.. Went to Home depot and matched up a ocean blue color... Cause its built in.... you can't get to the back glass...

Casey

H20ENG
02/04/2004, 07:52 PM
Lunch,
Go for it! As long as you clean the glass well, it will hold.
A few things I have read:
Only use a small amount of silicone on the joint. Clamp the joint equally, and do not let too much squeeze out. I'd say you want about 1/64" of silicone between the 2 pieces when dry.
Let the squeeze out dry, then razor it off. Clean again with alcohol, then run a nice fillet bead in the corners.
Let cure for a week.
I'd also make sure you use thick enough glass for the tank. 3/8 may be enough for a 24" cube if braced well.
Oh, and we want the full scoop when its done!

kcgor
02/04/2004, 08:02 PM
One more thing.. I put my in the back yard for a week or so... filled it with the water hose... that gave me enough confidence to move it in the house..

Casey

Lunchbucket
02/04/2004, 11:10 PM
h20eng - thanks for the tips. hmm wonder what i could use to get a 1/64" gap evenly? razor blade??

dont' know if i have big enough ballz to do this...would be scared the WHOLE time that i had it running :(

we will see...i need a new tank but don't have the $$ so this might be the only way

Lunchbucket

Trackz
02/04/2004, 11:33 PM
DO IT!!!!...Seriously, what could really happen? :)

Lunchbucket
02/04/2004, 11:45 PM
umm, lets see 60gal of water on my floor, running to the apt downstairs, the landlords kicking me out and paying thousands for damages...hmmm....maybe when i have my own tank in a basement

Lunchbucket

H20ENG
02/05/2004, 12:23 AM
You could use a piece of box tubing as a straightedge for clamping across the whole joint. This will put even pressure and you can just eyeball how much squeezes out.
You can even get some plastic angle stock to silicone on the outside after its done for a little extra piece of mind.